AuthorTopic: [WIP - 9.23.08] Pyramid  (Read 15469 times)

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Re: [WIP - 9.23.08] Pyramid

Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 12:54:54 am
Is anything in this game going to happen on top of the pyramid? The reason that I ask is because I always assumed that the weird perspective on the Zelda 3 pyramid was to provide some atmosphere from the top.

The perspective on the Zelda pyramid is intentionally skewed so that you get a view of the sky from the top, instead of just the other side of the pyramid (which wouldn't be quite as interesting). It's a neat trick, but if you're never going to be at the top of the pyramid then I can't see any real reason to use that perspective.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:57:26 am by chriskot »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 01:13:07 am
It's not bogus to think that Helm has more technical knowledge, and overall skill than the people who worked on LttP. In fact, I see much, much work posted here on Pixelation that tops the work of the "Japanese fellas that worked on Zelda"... in skill, creativity, and in knowledge(in my opinion).

I doubt that is the case...but I also disagree that Zelda art is better than anything posted here. We ocasionally do stuff that is better than in videogames, but not because we are mighty pixel gods or anything of that sort.

I think that if there were a discussion in the Zelda team about the pyramid it would be more along the lines of "fuck dude you need to get this done by TODAY, this fucking piramid has taken 3 days already and we still have to do that boss..."etc. The fact that is usually the driving thought behind game art probably influences any and all impressions you might have about the art from either of the  sources.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:16:55 am by Conceit »

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 01:17:46 am
Wow, this turned into a fairly large argument. Right now, I'd say Helm's edit shows what you need to do with the tiles and the shading.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 07:56:34 am
One other thing i note in Zelda's pyramid that is worth keeping is how the "vertical" lines of the side bricks are parallel to the rear edges of the pyramid.
<-->

This helps the player believing that the structure is "normal" despite skewed perspective etc. on the rightmost pyramid of what indigo called "helmsperspective", you have those line forming a nearly 90° angle, which completely ruins the perception of the volume. Whatever you pixel on the rear side of that pyramid, it's gonna to look awkward (imvho).

the leftmost pyramid on this third picture follow the "bricks // rear edge" and it has a strong effect in making me believe in the volume. Yet i still belive that it won't give you the feeling that you see a square-based pyramid unless "front edges" are sharper than 45°

I also disagree that Zelda art is better than anything posted here
Have we all forgotten that "megaman mockup frenzy" ?