AuthorTopic: [WIP - 9.23.08] Pyramid  (Read 15466 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

[WIP - 9.23.08] Pyramid

on: September 22, 2008, 11:10:44 am
A pyramid I'm working on. It is intended to be Zelda-esque, especially in terms of perspective. I choose the colors of the pyramid, but brown/orange is my weak-spot so I'm not really sure how it looks. The BG-color is not my choice, but that may be changed later. This is one large image, so I'm not limited by tiles or anything.

I think I'm pretty much done the front. I still have to do an entrance, but I think I'm going to move on to the other faces of the pyramid for now.

I'm not particularly fond of the rear face. I wanted to portray the same shape in the bricks as the front face, but I think it just ends up looking like the space between the bricks is excessively large. I don't know how to fix this, though.

I guess I should also post this. The person whom I was doing this for wanted me to look to this for inspiration:

Though I think the only thing similar is the structure(which lacks a whole rear). It's from Zelda: Four Swords.

bumpdate (9.23.08)
Worked on the sides a bit. I don't want to progress anymore though in case I'm going in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:51:15 pm by Dusty »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP - 9.23.08] Pyramid

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:58:56 pm
This is not very helpful but i notice that your cracks cross multiple bricks whereas the zelda cracks are restricted to each individual brick. Maybe doing it their way is better. Also the zelda bricks on the side are smaller than those on the front.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:04:17 pm
This is not very helpful but i notice that your cracks cross multiple bricks whereas the zelda cracks are restricted to each individual brick. Maybe doing it their way is better. Also the zelda bricks on the side are smaller than those on the front.
Well I'm not trying to really clone the Zelda pyramid, but it was basis of the idea. I actually tried to make sure mines was a little more logical in design. See, each side has the same amount of bricks and I definitely didn't see a reason to make the bricks on the side smaller.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:25:16 pm
Maybe its to give the illusion of perspective. Something else I notice is that the line for the centre of the bricks on the side keeps moving up.I have no idea how to draw a pyramid i leave it up to you.

edit: thats why they shrunk it. So that the line from one line of bricks and the line on the row below the row below lines up. If that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:28:27 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:37:22 pm

What I did hopefully will seem pretty clear to you.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 11:36:10 pm

What I did hopefully will seem pretty clear to you.
Damn that looks so sweet... but I honestly don't know what to do.

Zelda 3 is really screwed perspective wise. Some structures show all 4 sides, while some take a perspective like yours. I guess that would mean I can choose either one, but I'm not entirely sure yet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:39:53 pm by Dusty »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:03:29 am
I made the top edges catch highlights.
I greatly diminished the 'depth' lines between tiles, you don't need two pixel rows there.
I made it darkest in the crevices where light would not creep through.
I put a highlight under the crack to suggest sharpness.
I put more darkness in selective parts of the cracks.
I fixed the perspective of the sideways tiles. The zelda inspiration seems wrong to me.
That's pretty much it, does it make more sense now?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 01:37:42 am
I made the top edges catch highlights.
I greatly diminished the 'depth' lines between tiles, you don't need two pixel rows there.
I made it darkest in the crevices where light would not creep through.
I put a highlight under the crack to suggest sharpness.
I put more darkness in selective parts of the cracks.
I fixed the perspective of the sideways tiles. The zelda inspiration seems wrong to me.
That's pretty much it, does it make more sense now?
Heh, sorry I did understand everything you did. I was just at odds at which perspective to go with. While the Zelda one seems wrong, the rest of the world is kind of in that perspective and I'm not entirely sure if using the same perspective as you would look too out of place.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 01:47:09 am
I think this type of thing would look ace!

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:19:10 am
I agree with sharprm's perspective suggestion. :y: While Helm's perspective is more correct, sharpm's edit seems to follow the "rules" of the distorted perspective of the Zelda games. The angle you've been using is too close to top-down.