AuthorTopic: Possible Space Shooter Mockup...  (Read 71063 times)

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Re: Possible Space Shooter Mockup...

Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:18 pm
Thanks Guys - And sorry for the lack of updates lately - I got distracted by other things...like helping friends learn how to light space scenes (http://www.hedfiles.net/galaxy%20test.mov )
yosh64: Yep, they are animated textures - the guns are all hand-drawn, but the explosions are done in a 3d program.
Dogmeat: I'm using 3dsMax 9 for the ships - for the textures I'm using GraphicsGale.
urgaffel: I'll post the max file for the explosions when I get home.

Anyhow, here's the latest!
2 gun Civilian fighter - sort of the general minivan of the universe - not bad guys, but you may go up against them every now and then.

then I also re-vamped the shield hit texture - I was seeing a pretty large disparity between my hand-made textures (gun effects, engine flares, etc) and the 3dsMax-generated stuff - so I decided to try and equalize that difference by going over the generated stuff with a pixel brush afterword - using it for a guide, so to speak.

and what that might look like pushed on polys:

anyhow, I'm fiddling with the explosions now, but I've also got addition GUI stuff I'm doing.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 07:51:14 pm
Excellent work! (again) I especially like that "thrusters-effect" of the gun-fighter. Looks like you are alternating the transparency. Can you write down some parameters? Is it a simple 2 frame alternating between 50% and 25%?
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 08:26:22 pm
Sure - even better, here's the texture.

So it's actually 4 frames, but is definitely flipping back and forth between a on/off state. But I put something different in each state to give it a little more character.
When this is put on the flare model it's an additive blending mode, so it's nice and bright.

Hope that helps!

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 02:20:24 pm
I really love all of this, but there seems to be more ass-pats than critique- which may be what you wanted, but I have a few suggestions, all stylistic since I know nothing about 3D.  D:

I'd make the wings on the latter slanted down, as they're a bit boring right now.
Also on the latest, I feel the cockpit should be better distinguished, maybe you should make it a transparent green, and make the whole cockpit area much bigger so it reads.  Blends with the metal atm.

But I do really like all of this.

Toodles!
Shrike

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 05:05:50 pm
Zenobia: Thanks.
Shrike: Critique is Awesome, and I love all of it I can get. I agree with the cockpit concerns - I'm probably not going to make it transparent - as that makes a whole lot more issues than it solves - but more contrast-y is definitely going to happen. The wings also - I've got kinda a gull-wing thing going on, and I can definitely increase the angle of that.
urgaffel: Here's the max file for the explosions - http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/blastsmall.max - 430KB, open with MAX 9 or later.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 06:08:58 pm
Hrm, seeing as how you're lacking in crits...I think for the best weapon in the game that hardon(teehee) cannon is really lacking....two crossed planes do not a 3D beam make!.
Why dont you try a single plane, and instead make it shoot circular sprites(I mean those flat 2d textures always facing the screen so they dont lok flat) I think that'd give a much better sense of depth...

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 03:59:04 am
Conceit: Yep, good call! I've never really been happy with that Hadron Cannon - I think something a bit more impressive is definitely in order. In the meantime, here's the changes to the latest fighter, as suggested by Shrike.

I actually like it quite a bit.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:14:04 am by Howard Day »

Offline urgaffel

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14:31 pm
Thank you very much! I quite like the ship designs you've got and the effects are very nice indeed. Makes me wish I could spend more time doing similar things but when I get home from work I have no inspiration at all (or very little...) and end up playing Persona or something along those lines  :-[ I wish I could pick your brains on how you create the effects in max :D

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:14 pm
[OFF-TOPIC] Whenever someone says 'Hadron Cannon' it always comes off the page and into my brain as 'Hard-on Cannon'.  Is that just due to my perverted thirteen-year-old brain or is this happening to other people?[/OFF-TOPIC]

Good work, the new ship is much better.
Me gusta!
Shrike

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 08:08:02 am
Offtopic: No it's your reading method really :P

By the way, you should really explain me how you make these animated textures like that  8) - Keep it coming