AuthorTopic: Possible Space Shooter Mockup...  (Read 71066 times)

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Re: Possible Space Shooter Mockup...

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 06:42:48 am
Little bit of an update... Shield test and a Cargo container...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:54:33 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 09:09:05 pm
And here's a space pirate...one of the more common enemies.

Still looking for C+C! :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:54:55 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 07:42:26 am
Wow, that black-red color scheme looks ace! Could match to an evil pirate. On the new fighter, I even like the nozzle placement!  ;)

About the shield effect: I think it would look better if the explosions have another color than the texture of the craft. e.g. red instead of blue in this example. How did you achieve this effect? Just a bend area with animated, transparent texture?
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 04:21:09 pm
About the textures. I guess it is mainly personal taste, but they are a bit nondescript in places. Also I would probably make the colourramps less straight, as in introduce a bit of colourshifting as the green on the ship goes darker for example. Another thing I find a bit boring is that the engine glow matches the colour of the ship. I would go for something complimentary, like red/orange glow on green ship, orange/yellow on blue/grey ship and so on.

I really like that pirate ship tho, looks like a proper popcorn enemy :D

Looking forward to more. :y:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 11:52:53 pm
Wow, that black-red color scheme looks ace! Could match to an evil pirate. On the new fighter, I even like the nozzle placement!  ;)

About the shield effect: I think it would look better if the explosions have another color than the texture of the craft. e.g. red instead of blue in this example. How did you achieve this effect? Just a bend area with animated, transparent texture?

Thanks - I agree with you on the color differential thing on the shield hits... hopefully that's something we can dynamically adjust in code to make the shields and engines be complementary colors. The effect was placed on a curved surface and animated - it's pretty simple, and I can provide the MAX file for it if anyone's interested.

About the textures. I guess it is mainly personal taste, but they are a bit nondescript in places. Also I would probably make the colourramps less straight, as in introduce a bit of colourshifting as the green on the ship goes darker for example. Another thing I find a bit boring is that the engine glow matches the colour of the ship. I would go for something complimentary, like red/orange glow on green ship, orange/yellow on blue/grey ship and so on.

I really like that pirate ship tho, looks like a proper popcorn enemy :D

Looking forward to more. :y:
I'm glad you like the pirate fighter...sooo many more of these to do, good to get it started off right.
Ah, right. Yeah, I see what you mean about the color ramps and engine glows. The only thing I can say is that the colors of your ship, and the ships you come across will most likely be controlled by code - and i don't see why we could set it up so that the hue of the colors chosen changes incrementally as the brightness fades off. At least I hope we can.

Anyhow, here's a couple of drive flare tests...the first is with simple 1-bit cutoff alpha and the second is with additive transparency blending... I'd like to ask if anyone has an opinion as to which one we should use? I like them both, but I think the additive blending might be getting away from the overall style. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:55:21 pm by Howard Day »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 12:09:21 am
1bit alpha imo. Fits the style better. What you could to to kinda fake transparency is make the whole flare flash on and off, like they did in old arcade games. Tho for that to work well you need a stable framerate which on PC with different monitors is not guaranteed at all.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 05:30:49 am
ptoing: Good idea! I had hoped to use the scaling of the flares to emulate this - but the full-on-flashing may work better.

Anyhow, here's the first run on the HUD...

and here it is as I imagine it looking in the game...
http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/hudtest.png

Thoughts, desires, C+C?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:55:38 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 05:02:39 am
And here's the HUD with the gauges filled in...

http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/hudtest2.png

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:56:02 pm by Howard Day »

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 10:28:46 pm
Nice progress here.

Your last ship looks like vic viper :)

I think the space between the "cells" in the red and blue bar should not be black.
A dark red and blue fits better here, basically in the same fashion the yellow bar is done.

Otherwise its hard to find(in my eyes atleast) any major flaws, simply good stuff.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 05:36:20 am
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:56:20 pm by Howard Day »