AuthorTopic: Possible Space Shooter Mockup...  (Read 71956 times)

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Possible Space Shooter Mockup...

on: September 22, 2008, 04:00:23 am
Hello, all! My name is Howard Day, and I've recently gotten back into pixel art after quite a long absence. I had long since moved pass pushing individual pixels and onto high-resolution 3D - and just got the urge to go back and do some low-poly low-res work...I had forgotten how relaxing it is. Anyhow, The idea for the game is a fixed-angle (not quite orthographic isometric... close, but still with a minimum of perspective) 3d space shooter on a 2d playing field. The art style was definitely inspired by DoDonPachi and other classic vertical shooters. So the first task was to create some representative space ship as might be seen in the game...say a player ship.
*EDIT* This model has 576 Triangles... I forgot to mention that the first time round.*EDIT*

And then the two texture maps...both 16 color 64x64...the first is the diffuse, the second is the glow...

and two alternate color sets.

All the 3D stuff was done in 3DSMAX 9 and the textures in GraphicsGale...now there's a cool program.
So that was the initial work I did on this. I thought it looked pretty good (please, rip me apart on this).. and I thought it might be good to try and do some of the effects.
These are all done in 3DSMax alone.
- Medium sized explosion...missile/mine hits, exploding sub components, etc.
http://www.hedfiles.net/~hday/pixel/EXBigunfinished.gif - Big explosion (unfinished) - ship destruction, Epic weapon hits...
- Small shield hit - gun projectile, debris hits...
- Big shield hit - Missiles, mines, Bigger guns...

Well, that's all I've got for now! I'd love to hear any C+C you guys have - as well as any additional sources, ideas, techniques, etc... you might think valuable.
Thanks, and enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:52:39 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Re: Possible Space Shooter Mockup...

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:20:12 am
If you are a computer programmer, I'd reccomend to you to take a look at egg, or at explogen. These programs can generate nice exlosions for you
without too much efforts.

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/egg/index.html
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=211466

Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:08:13 am
Hi, the nozzles of the craft should point directly to the back and not 45 degree up and down. (otherwise it could not move forward) If you persist with that 45 degree angle for some reason, you might want to have the same amount of nozzles for the upside, as for the downside. The lights on the back of the grey and red crafts are flashing. Did you do that by intention? On the green one, that is just fine.

Apart from that, I think this is really excellent! How did you create these explosions?
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 10:33:10 am
Hi, the nozzles of the craft should point directly to the back and not 45 degree up and down. (otherwise it could not move forward) If you persist with that 45 degree angle for some reason, you might want to have the same amount of nozzles for the upside, as for the downside. The lights on the back of the grey and red crafts are flashing. Did you do that by intention? On the green one, that is just fine.

Apart from that, I think this is really excellent! How did you create these explosions?
Eh, I think this is a good time to choose design over realism. I don't, however, like the way the bottom one is out further than the top ones. It looks awkward.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:44:38 pm
Beoran: I'm not a computer programmer, unfortunately. I am a video game artist in the industry, though, and I like the control that the 3DSMAX setup I have gives me. Thanks for those links!

Lazycow: Nozzles: That's more of a stylistic thing than anything else - I was inspired by the space shuttle on that one. As for the flickering lights...I think that's a palette issue, hopefully fixed in these new images. The explosions were created using particle effects and custom materials in 3DSMAX. This is a pretty cool system, as it lets you put in a random number seed and get a new explosion for every number. If there's any demand for it, I could post the MAX file here.
New randomly generated explosion (palette not optimized - very close to direct output from MAX)

Dusty:Thanks. You're right on about the bottom nozzle - it's been moved back to match the upper one. The original thinking behind that was to have it farther out to make it more visible from the angle you'd be seeing it in the game, but that's a much lesser concern now that I've seen it finished.

So, two new ship images, with the lower engine pushed back forward. I'll post some of the weapons and engine upgrades tonight, with any luck...

Thanks again for the comments!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:53:13 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 04:08:11 am
And some new goodies. A engine Upgrade, Missile pack, and First attempt at a gun...

Any C+C is of course very welcome!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:53:32 pm by Howard Day »

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 01:37:50 pm
Wow. I really like these.
Reminds me to do a little 3d stuff again.

Not that the current engine block looks unfitting, but personally i liked the nozzles more.
The explosions a great, look almost realistic. Maybe they take a little to long to fade out, esp. the biggest one.

Otherwise :y:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 05:26:20 pm
I quite like these, tho I am not a huge fan of the textures, that's more or a personal taste thing tho.

What I think is a real issue tho, is that the explosions are MUCH too slow and have too many frames. Even if you speed it up they will be too long on screen.
A really good example for nice fast explosions here is DoDonPachi. The ones in there look cool but are gone really fast, as to not impact on the gameplay badly.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 06:03:12 pm
Here it is 60 frames per second in pro motion. Our browsers might not be able to handle it but a decent game engine would have no problem with it and it would look alright.

edit: yeah apparently firefox at least runs the 60 frame persec just like the versions Howard Day posted.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 07:16:11 pm
vierbit: Thanks! I'm glad you like the engine nozzles! You seem to be one of the few that did. That's the default first stage engine, so you'll be seeing a lot of it in the game. As for the explosions, yeah, I think 40 frames is too much. I think 20 for the smaller and 40 for the big bad ones is more reasonable.

ptoing: Thanks. could you give some suggestion or further comment about what you dislike about the textures? Is it anything I could fix? :) I totally agree with you on the length of the explosions. I will be drastically cutting the length. I think 15-20 frames should be about the maximum for anything that will be on the screen often.

Helm:  thanks for the attempt. I knew I saw at one point an option in GraphicsGale to change the speed of the exported GIF, but I've yet to find it again.

*Edit*
And some additional work for the evening...

And a background or two...

Anyhow. I've actually started talking to dkh and he's expressed a lot of interest in working on some programming for this...I'm pretty darn excited.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:54:11 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 06:42:48 am
Little bit of an update... Shield test and a Cargo container...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:54:33 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 09:09:05 pm
And here's a space pirate...one of the more common enemies.

Still looking for C+C! :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:54:55 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Lazycow

• flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 07:42:26 am
Wow, that black-red color scheme looks ace! Could match to an evil pirate. On the new fighter, I even like the nozzle placement!  ;)

About the shield effect: I think it would look better if the explosions have another color than the texture of the craft. e.g. red instead of blue in this example. How did you achieve this effect? Just a bend area with animated, transparent texture?
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 04:21:09 pm
About the textures. I guess it is mainly personal taste, but they are a bit nondescript in places. Also I would probably make the colourramps less straight, as in introduce a bit of colourshifting as the green on the ship goes darker for example. Another thing I find a bit boring is that the engine glow matches the colour of the ship. I would go for something complimentary, like red/orange glow on green ship, orange/yellow on blue/grey ship and so on.

I really like that pirate ship tho, looks like a proper popcorn enemy :D

Looking forward to more. :y:

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 11:52:53 pm
Wow, that black-red color scheme looks ace! Could match to an evil pirate. On the new fighter, I even like the nozzle placement!  ;)

About the shield effect: I think it would look better if the explosions have another color than the texture of the craft. e.g. red instead of blue in this example. How did you achieve this effect? Just a bend area with animated, transparent texture?

Thanks - I agree with you on the color differential thing on the shield hits... hopefully that's something we can dynamically adjust in code to make the shields and engines be complementary colors. The effect was placed on a curved surface and animated - it's pretty simple, and I can provide the MAX file for it if anyone's interested.

About the textures. I guess it is mainly personal taste, but they are a bit nondescript in places. Also I would probably make the colourramps less straight, as in introduce a bit of colourshifting as the green on the ship goes darker for example. Another thing I find a bit boring is that the engine glow matches the colour of the ship. I would go for something complimentary, like red/orange glow on green ship, orange/yellow on blue/grey ship and so on.

I really like that pirate ship tho, looks like a proper popcorn enemy :D

Looking forward to more. :y:
I'm glad you like the pirate fighter...sooo many more of these to do, good to get it started off right.
Ah, right. Yeah, I see what you mean about the color ramps and engine glows. The only thing I can say is that the colors of your ship, and the ships you come across will most likely be controlled by code - and i don't see why we could set it up so that the hue of the colors chosen changes incrementally as the brightness fades off. At least I hope we can.

Anyhow, here's a couple of drive flare tests...the first is with simple 1-bit cutoff alpha and the second is with additive transparency blending... I'd like to ask if anyone has an opinion as to which one we should use? I like them both, but I think the additive blending might be getting away from the overall style. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:55:21 pm by Howard Day »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 12:09:21 am
1bit alpha imo. Fits the style better. What you could to to kinda fake transparency is make the whole flare flash on and off, like they did in old arcade games. Tho for that to work well you need a stable framerate which on PC with different monitors is not guaranteed at all.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 05:30:49 am
ptoing: Good idea! I had hoped to use the scaling of the flares to emulate this - but the full-on-flashing may work better.

Anyhow, here's the first run on the HUD...

and here it is as I imagine it looking in the game...
http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/hudtest.png

Thoughts, desires, C+C?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:55:38 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 05:02:39 am
And here's the HUD with the gauges filled in...

http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/hudtest2.png

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:56:02 pm by Howard Day »

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 10:28:46 pm
Nice progress here.

Your last ship looks like vic viper :)

I think the space between the "cells" in the red and blue bar should not be black.
A dark red and blue fits better here, basically in the same fashion the yellow bar is done.

Otherwise its hard to find(in my eyes atleast) any major flaws, simply good stuff.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 05:36:20 am
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:56:20 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 07:15:58 am
I've completed the Military/Police fighter. :D

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:56:40 pm by Howard Day »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 04:37:47 pm
Coming along nicely.

Some things tho. The Space nebula like background really does not go. Too much dither, 4 colours? Really? Make it smoother and something like 16 colours.

About gameplay, will this be a vertical shooter? In that case the screen ratio have in the pics with the hud is not very nice. Would be rather cramped having enemies come down at you in that. If it is vertical I would suggest a vertical ratio as well. 480x640 or something along those lines.

The Hud, does the player need to know all that stuff? Does it have to be that big. No offense but it kinda smells like Euroshmup. The hud should not take away that much info at all I think. If you can put info in the actual game area as much as possible. In case it is not a one hit - lose a life game (which I guess since you have a shield), you could make the colour of the shield change when it gets hit. Like you do not see the shield, only when it's hit, then you see the impacts and the shield flickers a bit and it could go towards red or something and when it is totally gone you could play some electric GTZZKT kinda sound and have some particles fly away from the perimeters of the shield, so that the player knows that he will die on the next hit.

Same goes for power. The power of the shot should be visible from the actual shot. Like you get more and bigger bullets as you collect powerups.
As far as I am concerned the HUD in shmups should really be minimal as far as screen space goes. And only the most necessary stuff should be there, things you can not easily show without the it.

Just my 2 cents. Keep it up.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 06:10:28 pm
Coming along nicely.
Some things tho. The Space nebula like background really does not go. Too much dither, 4 colours? Really? Make it smoother and something like 16 colours.
Sure! That was honestly more of a test than anything else - I was interested to see how few colors I could get away with.
Here's another at 16 colors...

About gameplay, will this be a vertical shooter? In that case the screen ratio have in the pics with the hud is not very nice. Would be rather cramped having enemies come down at you in that. If it is vertical I would suggest a vertical ratio as well. 480x640 or something along those lines.
Ah, I see! I'm sorry, I should have explained this earlier - I forgot to mention it.

I was thinking that this would be a sort-of-mix-of Subspace, Privateer, and DoDonPachi. That's a bit of a confusing blend, I'll grant you, so I'll explain what I mean. The perspective is a combination of the isometric viewpoint of DoDonPachi, with the "face anywhere" turning and movement style of Subspace. I was thinking the Arrow/WASD keys to move your fighter, with limited strafing side-to-side, and aiming the fighter using your mouse.  Rather than have instantaneous rotation to match the cursor, the cursor would have a "Ghost" trail when it moves quickly - showing the lag time between your aim point and the fighter's actual rotation. The game play would basically be a cut-down version of Privateer. Much simplified.

You play a Mercenary Fighter Pilot tasked with clearing out Pirates from a sector of space by an extremely harried Sector Governor.  Illegally, unfortunately...so when you start being successful, the Military starts coming after you.  Your personal reasons for doing the missions assigned are...generic. :D Pirates killed your family. That's the overriding mission - you can pick up smaller, more localized ones as you progress. Simple stuff like specific pirate gang hunts, escort missions, delivery missions, etc. You play for Points, which are pretty much the money(ies) in this game. As you gain points, you can spend them to upgrade your ship - or even purchase a new one (maybe, might be too complicated, no idea) As you spend the points, your actual score doesn't decrease. Basically there'd be two numbers - The total amount of money/points you've earned, and the money points you haven't spent, if that makes any sort of sense at all.

I hope that help explain things a bit more - It's definitely not a vertical SHMUP, though.

Same goes for power. The power of the shot should be visible from the actual shot. Like you get more and bigger bullets as you collect powerups.
As far as I am concerned the HUD in shmups should really be minimal as far as screen space goes. And only the most necessary stuff should be there, things you can not easily show without the it.

Just my 2 cents. Keep it up.
Actually a very good point. Screen space is going to be at a premium, so I'm very much interested in cutting down the interface.  I like your idea about the shield strength being portrayed by the color of the hits - that could definitely be done. The reason for the gun power gauge, though, is to show you how much power you have to fire your guns - not to show you the power of your shots...since you'll be able to upgrade your weapons and powerplant separately, that's a balancing mechanic to prevent you from buying all the best guns and neglecting your other systems. Sure, you could get 1-2 awesome shots off, but that's all you'll get till your energy recharges.

Hopefully this has helped to explain things a bit more. Thanks again for your comments - and I'll see what I can do about the HUD.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:56:57 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Timpa

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 10:14:24 pm
Argh I hate it when people write alot of stuff:D Can never make myself read it. But if I against all odds :-[ missed this, The nebula background? Was that made in some sort of program or pixeled by hand?

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 02:27:27 pm
Ah, the nebula background was made in 3ds MAX 9... then dithered down in Photoshop, and the color tints and palette re-arranged in Graphics Gale. If you're interested in the MAX file, I'd be more than willing to share. :D

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 02:52:52 pm
I would be interested in that  ;D

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 04:49:58 pm
Done!
http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/wispy.max
You'll need Max 9 or later to open that correctly. :D To create new backgrounds, change the seed on the top-level noise modifier on the nebula plane.
Enjoy!
EDIT*
Worked a bit on the thruster transparency and workings.

At 60 or even 30 fps, that looks pretty darn awesome.
*EDIT
DOUBLE EDIT!!*
Testing some more intricate thrusters...

*DOUBLE EDIT!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:57:27 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 10:02:52 pm
Okay - two new engine effects - Idle and Afterburn..

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:57:47 pm by Howard Day »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 12:04:21 am
just noticed the self-shadowing, which is a nice touch.

how exactly is this game going to play out?  the designs will need to be tailored to the gameplay.  you mention fixed angle, but how exactly can the ships move?  and how large is the screen? (you've shown the screen a little but not enough for me to see how large the ships will be, and where...)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 06:12:38 am
just noticed the self-shadowing, which is a nice touch.
Thanks - no idea if that's going to make it into the finished game...here's hoping.

how exactly is this game going to play out?  the designs will need to be tailored to the gameplay.  you mention fixed angle, but how exactly can the ships move?  and how large is the screen? (you've shown the screen a little but not enough for me to see how large the ships will be, and where...)
Ah, good question. The ships can move anywhere on a 2d-plane of space. There are canned, pre-fabbed maneuvers that specific ships can play - dodges, barrel rolls, flips...that sort of thing. As for how big the ships are on screen.. we're going for a 45deg angle fixed camera - but the zoom on that camera changes based on how fast you're going...as does the focus of the camera. When the ship's below a specific speed, the ship is mostly centered perfectly...but as you accelerate into a specific direction, the camera's viewpoint shifts into that direction to show you more of where you're going. At normal zoom levels, the ships will appear within 10-15% of the size of the animated gifs on this page...at full speed, then they might zoom out to 30-40% less...
Hopefully this helps!

And here's the new cut down HUD...

Thoughts? Is that cut down enough?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:58:02 pm by Howard Day »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 05:48:51 pm
My suggestion would be to put the Rada in the middle. It's way more awkward glancing to the side than just down, also if it is in the center bottom you get a better feel of where the blips on the radar relate to your position.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 04:43:27 am
My suggestion would be to put the Rada in the middle. It's way more awkward glancing to the side than just down, also if it is in the center bottom you get a better feel of where the blips on the radar relate to your position.
Ahh - Good.  DKH had a suggestion:

And I thought it worked really well - so here's the updated HUD - rearranged onto a 512x512..

Thoughts?

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 10:33:27 pm
And here's a gun test...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:58:14 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 06:58:19 am
This is very awesome...great job! Love the graphics! Inspired me to try 3d modeling.
Thanks, glad you like it. Can't wait to see whatever you come up with.

I've managed to find the time to bang out another player ship - this one has 3 primary gun mounts, and 2 secondary weapon mounts. It will be a fair bit more expensive than the first fighter I posted, and fairly slower as well - at least initially.
Shown with and without weapons mounts.

Thoughts? Comments?
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:58:30 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 11:59:37 am
well to be the best thing is that you went a completly different design way and made some abstract shapes group up into making a space ship and you made it work beautifully.
the designs are interesting, fresh and solid. just make sure you finish this!

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 07:43:38 am
well to be the best thing is that you went a completly different design way and made some abstract shapes group up into making a space ship and you made it work beautifully.
the designs are interesting, fresh and solid. just make sure you finish this!

Thanks! DKH and I are moving along quite nicely on a prototype!

Here's another player fighter: Most likely going to be the starting fighter - no secondary weapons, and two primary weapon slots.

With and without weapons....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:58:45 pm by Howard Day »

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 02:16:53 pm
I'm loving this more and more.

I hope this happens.

And while you're at it, maybe make a tutorial for us who want to try it out. :D
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 02:11:38 am
Thanks, I'm glad you like it...Although there's not really any need for a full on tutorial, is there? This is all really simple stuff. If there's something specific you're curious about, I'm more than willing to explain it or share a MAX file.

Anyhow, I've been working on some weapons and weapon effects... here's the Pulse Laser - more of a beam weapon than a bolt weapon. I think it turned out well.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:59:02 pm by Howard Day »

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 03:14:27 am
These are absolutely amazing! The pulse weapon works extremely well, and I like the little wave it sends out as it fires. Great work here!
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 06:19:07 am
Thanks, Fatalis!
Here are all the guns so far, from left to right:
Pulse Laser
Advanced Pulse Laser
Particle Cannon
ScatterGun
Automatic Scattergun
Gatling Gun
Chain Gun
Single Laser
Dual Laser
Tri Laser
http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/allguns.png
http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/allguns2.png

In front of each weapon is an example of the bolt/projectile/beam of each.

And a close-up on the Particle Cannon - one of my favorites...

Enjoy, and thoughts are welcome.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:59:47 pm by Howard Day »

Offline pawelotti

• View Profile

Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 07:34:04 am
in my opinion everything look great, but if you named a gun: Gatling Gun, you would make it little similar to original i think about the gun rotation ;)
I'am from Poland. My English is bad - sorry

Offline Memo

• OHRer
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 07:42:01 pm
Wow. These are all really amazing. Please, tell me how i may become amazing like you?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 07:50:00 pm
in my opinion everything look great, but if you named a gun: Gatling Gun, you would make it little similar to original i think about the gun rotation ;)
Look at the ships again, this is likely bigger than the end resulting size, so a rotating gun is NEVER gonna get noticed.

Offline pawelotti

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 08:27:18 pm
Look at the ships again, this is likely bigger than the end resulting size, so a rotating gun is NEVER gonna get noticed.

Yea... You are right.  :huh:
I'am from Poland. My English is bad - sorry

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19:35 am
Yeah, same with the chain gun - The intent is to try and add that rotation in there - but there's no telling when that will be added.
Wow. These are all really amazing. Please, tell me how i may become amazing like you?
Don't study, don't go to school, and be a lazy bastard. Oh, and do this for 10 years - that might help.

So here's the second popcorn pirate fighter - still single gun. I'll probably do one more then move onto something else.

And I finished the only remaining primary weapon.

The Hadron Cannon - most powerful weapon in the game.
Enjoy, and sorry for the delay between updates.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:00:08 pm by Howard Day »

Offline dock

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008, 04:30:12 pm
These are fabulous, I hope you keep working on them! ^_^

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 10:58:58 pm
Agreed! They are REALLY good! :)

yosh64

Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 06:53:29 am
hey

Wow, the laser and explosions look ace, I gotta learn these techniques, although I use blender.

I like the colors, even as saturated as they are :).

BTW, sorry that I haven't read much of everyones posts, I'm a bit tired.

edit
Can you quickly explain how you went about the explosions and lazers? are they animated textures?

cyas
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:57:31 am by yosh64 »

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 08:00:47 pm
Oh my goodness, this is all amazing. I don't spend much time in this section of the site, I'm wondering what you're using to create the ships , render the textures on them and export them as you have.

Also, just from these graphics, I would love to check out the possible game, if a demo is released :)
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: November 23, 2008, 09:08:19 pm
Somewhere in the topic is stated, everything is done in 3Ds max.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:18 pm
Thanks Guys - And sorry for the lack of updates lately - I got distracted by other things...like helping friends learn how to light space scenes (http://www.hedfiles.net/galaxy%20test.mov )
yosh64: Yep, they are animated textures - the guns are all hand-drawn, but the explosions are done in a 3d program.
Dogmeat: I'm using 3dsMax 9 for the ships - for the textures I'm using GraphicsGale.
urgaffel: I'll post the max file for the explosions when I get home.

Anyhow, here's the latest!
2 gun Civilian fighter - sort of the general minivan of the universe - not bad guys, but you may go up against them every now and then.

then I also re-vamped the shield hit texture - I was seeing a pretty large disparity between my hand-made textures (gun effects, engine flares, etc) and the 3dsMax-generated stuff - so I decided to try and equalize that difference by going over the generated stuff with a pixel brush afterword - using it for a guide, so to speak.

and what that might look like pushed on polys:

anyhow, I'm fiddling with the explosions now, but I've also got addition GUI stuff I'm doing.

Offline Lazycow

• flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 07:51:14 pm
Excellent work! (again) I especially like that "thrusters-effect" of the gun-fighter. Looks like you are alternating the transparency. Can you write down some parameters? Is it a simple 2 frame alternating between 50% and 25%?

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 08:26:22 pm
Sure - even better, here's the texture.

So it's actually 4 frames, but is definitely flipping back and forth between a on/off state. But I put something different in each state to give it a little more character.
When this is put on the flare model it's an additive blending mode, so it's nice and bright.

Hope that helps!

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 02:20:24 pm
I really love all of this, but there seems to be more ass-pats than critique- which may be what you wanted, but I have a few suggestions, all stylistic since I know nothing about 3D.  D:

I'd make the wings on the latter slanted down, as they're a bit boring right now.
Also on the latest, I feel the cockpit should be better distinguished, maybe you should make it a transparent green, and make the whole cockpit area much bigger so it reads.  Blends with the metal atm.

But I do really like all of this.

Toodles!
Shrike

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 05:05:50 pm
Zenobia: Thanks.
Shrike: Critique is Awesome, and I love all of it I can get. I agree with the cockpit concerns - I'm probably not going to make it transparent - as that makes a whole lot more issues than it solves - but more contrast-y is definitely going to happen. The wings also - I've got kinda a gull-wing thing going on, and I can definitely increase the angle of that.
urgaffel: Here's the max file for the explosions - http://www.hedfiles.net/pixel/blastsmall.max - 430KB, open with MAX 9 or later.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 06:08:58 pm
Hrm, seeing as how you're lacking in crits...I think for the best weapon in the game that hardon(teehee) cannon is really lacking....two crossed planes do not a 3D beam make!.
Why dont you try a single plane, and instead make it shoot circular sprites(I mean those flat 2d textures always facing the screen so they dont lok flat) I think that'd give a much better sense of depth...

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 03:59:04 am
Conceit: Yep, good call! I've never really been happy with that Hadron Cannon - I think something a bit more impressive is definitely in order. In the meantime, here's the changes to the latest fighter, as suggested by Shrike.

I actually like it quite a bit.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:14:04 am by Howard Day »

Offline urgaffel

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14:31 pm
Thank you very much! I quite like the ship designs you've got and the effects are very nice indeed. Makes me wish I could spend more time doing similar things but when I get home from work I have no inspiration at all (or very little...) and end up playing Persona or something along those lines  :-[ I wish I could pick your brains on how you create the effects in max :D

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:14 pm
[OFF-TOPIC] Whenever someone says 'Hadron Cannon' it always comes off the page and into my brain as 'Hard-on Cannon'.  Is that just due to my perverted thirteen-year-old brain or is this happening to other people?[/OFF-TOPIC]

Good work, the new ship is much better.
Me gusta!
Shrike

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 08:08:02 am
Offtopic: No it's your reading method really :P

By the way, you should really explain me how you make these animated textures like that  8) - Keep it coming

Offline urgaffel

• View Profile

Reply #60 on: March 30, 2009, 09:50:36 pm
What's happened to all the images?!  :'(

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 11:08:12 pm
Hi, guys! I've received a couple of interested inquiries into what's going on with this project, given that not much has been posted for going on three years. Well, unfortunately, it never really coalesced into a viable project... I had lots of interesting ship designs but no interesting *game* design, and because of that, it never really went anywhere.  DKH and I, stayed in pretty constant contact, though... and have returned with a better design, and a much more interesting project (for the both of us). I'm hopefully going to post that stuff here as as well, sometime soon.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #62 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:52 am
O_o uncanny. I just sent you a pm about "Absent Eden" your other proposed game project.

Anyhow, I hope you atleast make some kind of concept trailer out of this...look at how well that turned out for the guys who made Megaman 2.5D, this isnt of a famous franchise but I would really like to see some form of complete product come out of this and Absent Eden, even if it's just the one concept trailer.

Offline tamat

• View Profile
    • tamat's blog

Reply #63 on: November 19, 2013, 11:38:33 am
Hey Howard Day, amazing work.
I was wondering, are you planning to make the game in 3D or 2D? Browser or Standalone?