AuthorTopic: [WIP]Monkey King  (Read 4993 times)

Offline jeiki

• 24 hour ninja
    • View Profile

[WIP]Monkey King

on: September 21, 2008, 07:18:55 pm
Need help. I havent pixeled in 2 years, meng, I dont know I think it needs more style and class? Cant seem to get it right

極度のレーザーの多色刷りの飛行の浮かぶバナナに対す る非常に熱く熱いロボッ

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Monkey King

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:22:27 am
Looks good. His right arm seems to low to me.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Pixelfish

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:47:21 pm
I think both arms are off of their proper locations, moreso the extended right arm. I also think that too often your shading follows your outlines, you should try to depend on those less. The sword can be done with shapes in tones and in a more appealing way, the way you have it now, with the outlines and simple shading causes it to lose any material properties. The same goes for the ornamental pieces on his helmet. Quite simply, doesn't look metallic. Also, the outlines on the lips and bright red, in combination with the low-contrast teeth bother me. In general, I think the use of sel-out hurts the piece, as does the excessive outlining, but in general I like the drawing and color choices.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:51:25 am
Pretty cool concept remdins me of something fool would do.

An edit to show different arm placement. Three fingers, why not?

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline jeiki

• 24 hour ninja
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 05:13:44 pm
i dont think the anatomy is in question, it's the style i dunno it seems to me that it gives off a bland and blunt boring feeling, like theres no oompf.
極度のレーザーの多色刷りの飛行の浮かぶバナナに対す る非常に熱く熱いロボッ

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 07:10:30 pm
No, they are right at least about the extended right arm. it should be placed a little higher up from the side of the torso. I also do like the extension of the feet in sharprm's edit.

The reason why it may feel bland or boring to you is that mainly right now it's unpolished, specifically the outlines and shading. clean it up some, add some darker outlines, and as pixelfish said, don't let the outlines dictate the shading as much. once it's polished up you'll be much more satisfied with it. because i like the style going on, you just need to fix up (i.e. the armor shading)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 07:40:59 pm
If there's one thing I agree with in Sharp's edit, it's the change of perspective on the raised foot. In the original, it looks to be twisted to an impossible angle, based on the placement of the leg. Also, the perspective on the helmet (especially with regard to the lower yellow parts) is a little confusing, as both look to be set at very different angles.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 05:28:20 am

Just an edit, a lot of what you had was messy, I defined the eyes and the mouth a bit more.
Your gold color was just so bleh.
Shoulder pad on yours was messed, and I have no idea what you were doing with the helmet.
Did you not notice it wasn't a nice curved line?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:30:29 am by Souly »