AuthorTopic: [WIP] Arceus the Lord (updated)  (Read 10846 times)

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

[WIP] Arceus the Lord (updated)

on: September 21, 2008, 02:58:38 am
Yo whatup, I'm making Arceus, the pokemon God, and I'm looking for critiques and advise. I need help on coming up with a background, making the smoke less static, and most importantly, how to make the dude's antatomy look correct as. Also any tips on shading and light sources.

The sprites to the right are from the actual pokemon game that I'm obiously using as refrence.

Here is my other ref for the pose:

I'm trying to capture the movement of the majestic creature.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:02:10 pm by Corinthian Baby »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: [WIP] Arceus the Lord

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 03:32:44 am

mostly just volumes:
-neck gets awful thin near the head
-tails thin out too early
-added a bunch of sharp angles to the legs. I don't know if you want that exactly, and i don't know anything at all about ungulate anatomy, but it might help with majesty, he's all a bit too wavy at the moment.
-needs more husky hair (like on the head) - all over the place, i think. most of the shape to the original sprite is hair.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:25:55 am
Thanks man, working off your edit/ideas:

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:45:58 am
Doing well - but don't kick off from an edit, adjust your original to try to get the same effect. You learn more about what was changed, that way.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:00:01 am
Yeah wasn't sure about that, I'll def do it in the future.

Edit: Update:

Almost complete version, but I have a question for you guys. Is the shading of his body overdone a bit? Should I tone it down so he doesn't look so messy? Basically how the texture works. Also, any suggestions on how the approach the thing on his back?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:40:01 am by Corinthian Baby »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Arceus the Lord (updated)

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:18:04 am
I'm finally coming back to this to finish it up. I added the gate things on his back and an outline for the bg. I want it to be him pulling space with each step:

And I was also wondering if my colors are good or how/which ones should be changed. Also any suggestions for the bg as well.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 08:41:31 am
I believe that the color of the 'wood?' and the hoes could be more shiny gold, like in the originals.

Also, the piece of hair above his left fore leg (on the right side of it) is a bit messy, and the light stripe on the tail looks very weird and unrealistic.

This grey is maybe how he is, but its a bit boring. If you are going for a blue background, how about going for a tiny bit of yellowish in his fur? However this would not be too good because of the thing build around him: its yellowish too. So how about a green background maybe? Flying above or running in one? Than you could do a slightly purpleish creature :)
Just slightly, so it does not look so grey.

Thats my suggestions about the colors :)

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 08:53:52 am
The blue was gonna be transparent, but I'll look into the opposite complimentary color system you described. In the meantime, I know the things on his back are not supposed to be wood. To me, it doesn't look like wood, but I would like to know how to make the texture different to match the gold kind of substance of the original sprite.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 09:16:29 am
Well, smooth things out!

Most of the inner lines of those things are very very jaggy! While if they would be made out of gold, they would be very very smooth!

Also get it more yellowish (search for golden items in the pixeljoint gallery as soon as it is online again).

Your colors are overall a bit of a mess I see now. I wanted to make an edit, but its too messy to make something good of it quickly..

Take down that color count. Remove the green and the red for now, you can add it lateron again if its really needed. Or make the gems very green too. But I cut out the creature and there were 28 colors!

How about 8 colors for the hair (max) and than 5 colors for the gold, where you can combine the bright and the dark colors of the hair again with the gold ramp?

Get your palette a bit more neat :)

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 12:02:29 am
Here is an update, I changed the pallet on the gate thing to 5 shades like you said. The fur is almost 8 colors, but I didn't change any actual colors on the fur. I got rid of the green and red. I also tried to make it look like gold, nice and smooth.

Also I think the smoke is too static, but I will address that when I get to the bg.