AuthorTopic: Need advice for game sprites  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Kapser

• View Profile

Need advice for game sprites

on: September 19, 2008, 11:58:59 pm
Hey,

I'm working on a 2d game with a friend and I just made the hero sprite. I'd like to use this topic to post sprites and screenshots from the project so I can get some feedback and tips. I know my pixelart skillz are a bit weak but I'm working on improving them, and well that's why I'm here asking for help. This community looks full of talents.

I'll post more later, but for now I need any feedback or tips on how making the hero sprite look better. Thanks!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Need advice for game sprites

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 09:07:30 am
Before adding loads of detail, make sure all objects are super easy to keep apart. It is important for a player to know what will move and what won't, what is close, causing collision, and what is background. You can do this best with contrast, but it limits you in expressing volume and detail, which can be done best through shading. So find a balance in this, that's a hint I can give you for now.

Offline Kapser

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 05:58:33 pm
That's a good feedback for video game art. What are good methods for a good contrast, different colors/intensity? I guess experienced spriters try to avoid big black outlines, that I love for making clear contrasts.

Well, thanks for tip, I'll make sure be careful of contrasts when working on deeper shadings and details. I guess there's no magic tricks, I'll practice and work on that balance.

You made me realize I should try to do the whole environnement outlines before even adding color.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 07:46:10 pm
The color count in this is ridiculous. I was gonna do an edit, but it took so much work too remove the colors that I lost the mood. Either this was converted from jpg or it was ripped, resized worked over. I think the former is correct, that this was converted from jpg. And also the the colors are too similar, needs more contrast, and the lines are very square, you should make them more round. And lose all the unnecessary colors.

Offline Kapser

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:06:05 pm
Thanks, I'll try to work on those lines and add more color and contrast. And I'm not sure what you mean by converted from jpeg. It's a scan of a drawing I made and I pixelated over it.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 08:13:06 pm
Kind of a weird way to say it, but what I think he means is, you shouldn't have a lot of colours that are very nearly the same - make all your colours count.

halfedit, but I think it's good enough to show what I mean.

Offline Kapser

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:53:26 pm
Thanks, this is helping me a lot.

Offline Kapser

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:12:51 am
Hey again, I'm working on a tree, I know i made the same mistakes than last sprite, there's not much depth and lines need lot of work. it's still work in progress and some more advice would be much appreciated before i try to finish it. Thx!

edit: resolution is horrible, you can check it out there: http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=80128313jq6.png
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:15:36 am by Kapser »