AuthorTopic: [WIP]Face  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

[WIP]Face

on: September 16, 2008, 04:52:50 pm
A face I made a while ago.

OldestNewest
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:55:42 pm by Emtch »

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Face

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:19:22 pm

An update! Would appreciate some advice on the hair.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:53:27 pm
This is a pretty solid start.

i made an edit, mainly to point out that her head is a little too short, but also:
-lips (lower lip gets more light - use reference, lips are hard)
-lighting (bit everywhere, but try to emphasise the planes of her face, cheekbones)
-eyebrows same colour as her hair
-maybe lose the dark line under her chin
-eyelashes slightly
-break up hair into strands and bunches
-asymmetry is good (lighting on the nose, eyebrows, hair)
-moar shoulders, shoulder width should be more than a head and a half.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:57:58 pm by tocky »

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:42:25 pm
This is a pretty solid start.

i made an edit, mainly to point out that her head is a little too short, but also:
-lips (lower lip gets more light - use reference, lips are hard)
-lighting (bit everywhere, but try to emphasise the planes of her face, cheekbones)
-eyebrows same colour as her hair
-maybe lose the dark line under her chin
-eyelashes slightly
-break up hair into strands and bunches
-asymmetry is good (lighting on the nose, eyebrows, hair)
-moar shoulders, shoulder width should be more than a head and a half.
Thanks, very good help. I'll try to fix some issues now.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 05:49:34 pm
Made another update. I think I made the hair the wrong angle, and I'm gonna stop posting these stupid progress things an just post the current version from now on.

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:53:18 pm
i like a lot the face! :D but you should make her forehead longer (it should be 1/3 of the face) and hair less squared... tocky's edit will be helpful. keep working!

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 09:11:45 pm
careful not to block up the head too much.
i don't know if you are going for a squarish style, but the top of the hair is distractingly angular to my eye.
other small observations, the neck is looking very short, making the shoulders so close to the face that it implies a slight downward looking perspective.
the face could be framed more nicely with a greater contrast in the hair.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:53:44 pm
I had a look at this and thought "Fuck! This looks like shit."

So I made a new attempt.

I'll show the earlier stages so you can see where I went wrong, and because it looks a bit generic.
I want help on anatomy and making it more realistic and feminine in general.
Is her jaw too asymmetrical?
Hair will be added later, but I want to get the facial structure down first. I won't add ears though, and I know the nose is huge (gonna change that) ;D

Also made this guy, would like some advice on him too, especially shading.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:56:43 pm
Im gonna give ya a bit of help with the last guy, hopefully it should help you with them all in some way or other. This just caught my eye to be fair.

Firstly I worked on the palette a tad, pushed the darkest shade to black and the lightest to white for contrast sake tried to have some variation in hue/saturation so it's not so burning on the eyes. I've lowered the saturation of one of the darker shades to add a bit of softness to the skin, plus skin has a reflective quality so that it looks more natural to have some blue's in there.

The trapezius seems far too high on the neck, sort of like a skewed perspective. You need to look at the anatomy of the upper torso as well as the human head construction, it's all connected so it's helpful to imagine what's going on outside the reach of your canvas to determain how to place your shaping and details.

The head seemed a bit too wide, shortened it horizontally a pixel and also lowered the eyes, nose and mouth down a pixel too so it's level to the ears (which I widened). Tried to make the proportions realistic but keep a cartoony quality to this.

The nose I admit is hard to shape in such a small area, the only way to really get around this is to hint whats there and make what you can show easily readable so the eye can make up the rest.

You should use your palette shades to chisel your character into shape more, i've kept in mind where I want the cheek bones to be to help me shape that area, with the light coming from the top left there'd be a degree of shade change from just under the eye to running down to the chin that can really put some shape and interest.

I've used the black to darken and thicken the eyebrows in comparisant to yours, lowered it to the top level of the eye for the frown and increased the shadowing it projects.

Try use the white to highlight more than anything, the odd shine here and there really can help to show that there's light present in the image.

I could go on for ages but lastly i've added what adding hair to the bald guy would look and how to approach his hairline, you really need to know the full construction of the head before going in with adding hair, the image just above needs more work done there because the hair seems to clung to the head. Also added in more detail to the frown between the eyes.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:04:44 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..