AuthorTopic: [DONE/WIP] (not so very) Cyberpunk-like portrait  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

[DONE/WIP] (not so very) Cyberpunk-like portrait

on: September 15, 2008, 05:46:13 pm

Also my avatar.

Its technically done, though I'm still willing to edit and play around with it as to be honest it kind of bugs me because I know that things are wrong with it. I've been sorta on and off playing around with this for a few months now, so editing it even further really isn't out of the question. Thats where you guys come in. Do you see any problems with it? Anything that could use some tweaking? Opinions in general?

(should be) 15 colors + transparency.

C+C?

UPDATE: NEWEST VERSION

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:08:36 pm by Gizmonicgamer »

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Re: [DONE/WIP] Cyberpunk-like portrait

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:08:14 pm
thats cool, but the neck is kind of off.
the muscles (sternocleidomastoids) are not reading right.
try shading more around where they touch the larynx/adam's apple as this edit roughly shows:

also, you dont need the 132, 74, 66 (rgb) brown.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:01:53 pm by Salvage »

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:26:04 pm
well I really like it
it kinda reminds me of the main character of FFXIII versus lol
what u can do is move a little bit his right eye (your left) a bit to the nose position..
and that mout is a bit strange

heres an edit

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:27:44 pm
Just an innocent question; I don't mean to offend. What makes this cyberpunk-like?

When I think cyberpunk, I think of creative robotic enhancements to parts of your body that didn't function well enough, with a flair for that punk-like uniqueness, what with bright colours and flashy lights and "LOOK AT ME"... ness.

A couple of solid references to look at would be the cyborg-pirate-whatever from the movie "Treasure Planet". Also good reference would be to stick the phrase "Steampunk watches" into google, and flip through the images that come up. Toy around with any idea that comes up in your head, preferrably with a pen and paper, as it's quicker than digital art.

Of course, the above is just suggestions of new places to go with this, if you felt like it. Things that would, in my opinion, give it more character and thus make it look cooler. It doesn't even have to be a massive change. For example, if you've played cave story, the random white plate in http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/siteimages/kazumapor.gif that guy's face made him less of a typical anime face and more of a someone with a story.

As it is, it's not a bad portrait. I'm just of the opinion that much could be done to make it stand out in a crowd :)

Offline $ymbol

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:30:07 pm
IMO The shading is pretty "dirty", especially on the neck.

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:24:15 am
SEMI-NEW - NEW:
-
Thanks for the comments, I've tried fixing the problems you've mentioned thus far - along with a few things that have been bugging me. I've cleaned up the shading a little (or so I think), changed the mouth/lips, altered the neck, and have tweaked the palette. I'm still not done though as at some point I intend on thinning down the hair slightly and fixing up the jacket.

Willows: Honestly I think the more Cyberpunk aspect or theme of it is subtle and in my own head as opposed to directly shown on the portrait itself - Its just the sort of environment that I see this character in, I view the more cyberpunk aspects of this character as being internal and environmental as opposed to external. That and the character reminds me of Motoko Kusanagi for some reason. Though on hindsight you're right, labelling it as 'Cyberpunk-like' is probably a bad idea.

Either way, I may end up adding some more design aspects to the character as the portrait goes on. Who knows.

Opinions? Further comments? I still wouldn't say I'm quite 'done' yet.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:34:54 am by Gizmonicgamer »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [DONE/WIP] (not so very) Cyberpunk-like portrait

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:29:54 pm
I like the atmosphere of it, but the face structure is really bothering me. Hunt down some info on face proportions and such. The way I figure it, the nose seems too long and the mouth is too low on the face. The bottom of nose to chin area should be about a third of the face, if I remember correctly.

I've done a very dirty and messy edit in photoshop, so it looks more than a little mongoloid (EDIT: probably because the eyes aren't centered!), but here it is nonetheless:

Face structure, and shading pertaining to it. I didn't really touch the lips so ignore the lips in my edit. I concur with Hyrule_SwordsMan's edit as far as the lips go. I think the neck muscles converge slightly lower, as well.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:40:52 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 05:47:51 pm
mouth width is about the same as the difference between the pupils, i think.

edit over eyecraft's awesomeness

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:20:54 pm
I like the old ones more than the newest two edits, because the details on the old one were more defined than these two.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:44:38 pm
yeah i didn't really like any of the mouths with the last 2 edits. gizmonic had it down better.

but i did make an edit myself, started off with eyecraft's edit.

----->

some color edits/conservation, face structuring...
you had a bit of banding taking place at the chin.

not sure at all about my edit's eyes though, can't quite get a good shape but I thought yours were a little too big