AuthorTopic: stuck with first pixelation.  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Artarded

• View Profile

stuck with first pixelation.

on: October 06, 2008, 02:07:51 am
This is my first serious pixelation.
I know there are probably a LOT of things wrong with it.
It's the gates of Konoha from Naruto if any of you watch and I really want to draw out Konoha as close as I can to the show. It's a little project for me :D
I'm really trying to learn right now so any criticism is welcome.

I'm very much into pixel art and hope to be good soon.

don't know if I linked that properly but this is what I'm going for.

I know that picture is kind of small but it is all I could find.

I'm having huge problems getting the colors right for the wall, anything I try ends up looking really really horrible.

How do you guys find the right colors,hues and such I'm finding it really difficult mixing different colors together to match correctly.

The tiling for the wall is driving me nuts..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:41:32 am by Artarded »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: stuck with first pixelation.

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:24:59 am
If you want an image to show up in the thread, you need to click on the image and hit "copy image location", then hit the little image icon (the one that looks like the Mona Lisa) and paste the image's url between the img tags :).

I think this is too big to be a practical amount of work. You don't see pixel art that large very often, and that's for a reason :-*. I'd advise you to start small. 1/3 the size of what you're working at now would still be a bit of work.

On the colors: You've colored the banner-ish thing to look like a reddish rock, but if you look closely at the source it's actually more like limestone; a light grey-ish green.

Sorry this leaves most of your questions unanswered, but I'm short on time today :(.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:33:18 am
When posting your image put the image tags in.  That is put that way it shows on the site itself.

Hmm, why start with such a HUGE piece? I think it will look better, and less stressful on a much smaller scale. Apart from the fluoroscent green which hurts my eyes, the colours seem fine to me.

I really do recommend shrinking this piece though, as it's your first, cuz it will frustrate you to no end as well as take FOREVER to finish.  The size of the reference picture is perfect! For the pixelartists here, i doubt they will call that small at all :)

Offline Artarded

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:38:07 am
Thanks for the advice guys!

Yeah I think I made it too big for a beginner like me, I just wanted it to look realistic as comparison to the buildings I was going to make.

I've read up a few tutorials here and there but what do you guys recommend as starting material?

Right now I have a lot of time on my hands so I'm down for anything ;)

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 04:00:12 am
Well i'm no pro or anything, but it's wise to probably sketch the general outline of what you intend for it to look like, from there you choose the appropriate colours.  Then you slap down colour there and there.  From each colour you choose you may want to choose 3 of that hue, a light, midtone, and a dark.

As it is now, although i know what you want to create, i'm not sure as to what it's supposed to look like exactly cuz it doesn't look like the reference pic so far. Different perspective altogether etc. Outline or lineart first will help i tihnk

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 06:54:11 am
The gate doors don't have any vanishing points. Also, if the perspective is such that you can see the upper edge of the door like this, then you're looking at the scene from above the doors, which means you can only see a few square meters of ground on the other side of the gate, but not horizon or buildings.

Offline Artarded

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 06:19:33 pm
Yeah that was the idea, Kind of like an RPG point of perspective overhead.
But I think I'm going to start with easier stuff like everyone said I'm rushing it way too much.

I'm looking at the tutorials in the the resources thread and it's all gold.