AuthorTopic: [WIP] Pretty Girl  (Read 11618 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

[WIP] Pretty Girl

on: September 15, 2008, 03:25:55 am
First time I've attempted anything at this scale!

Current:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:49:20 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Girl

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:04:08 am
dont wait on those arms, you should do them before any cleaning.
with this pose, there is a lot of freedom for arm posing since they dont need to support any weight.
resting, gesticulating, covering, its really up to you!

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:36:28 am
Its looking great though the torso could use a few alterations. As is, the breasts are a little bit too big and flat. It looks like they're resting on something and at the same time pressed against something, so unless you intend on putting the arms beneath and ontop of the breasts I'd suggest rounding them out a bit more and creating a little more space in-between them and other body parts such as the arm. The upper torso (just beneath the breasts and onward) should be raised and moved to the left, as the current position makes any 'curve' seem nonexistant and also makes the (our) right thigh seem to be awkwardly short compared to both her other one and her the rest of her legs in general.

Something a bit closer to this, though not neccesarily having to conform to the waist and breast sizes I've implemented.

Though pushing her a little further back wouldn't neccesarily be a bad thing.

Personally, I'd also add a bit more curvature to the limbs and legs to help accentuate her body; that is to say slimming down things like ankles and wrists slightly.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:12:50 am
It looks like they're resting on something and at the same time pressed against something[/img]
Sorry, I should have said she'll be clothed. So resting on a bra and pressed against a tight t-shirt...? :P Hope that clears that up. Still, your edit helped me out a lot in that area. Thanks! The far thigh still needs work maybe....

Update:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:36:34 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:31:46 am
the breasts are a little bit too big

I think that's a matter of personal taste as well as how buxom/voluptuous the girl is supposed to be.

Anyway, before I can personally give any critz, I need to know whether you're trying to achieve a realistic form or something along the lines of anime. Because if it happens to be the latter, then you can get away with some proportion exaggerations.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:33:54 am by Ryona »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:18:30 pm
Because if it happens to be the latter, then you can get away with some proportion exaggerations.
It happens to be the latter! ;) But by that I mean that I'd like the forms to be more streamlined and stylized than strictly realistic. I'm not aiming to make her proportions shockingly impossible, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:07:31 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 05:31:01 pm
I meant more in relation to the body and their actual shape; that it was just a little awkward. But in the latest version its been fixed, as well as the other issues I had with it - It looks a lot better now.

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:52:47 pm
changing proportions, editing breasts, etc. is pointless till you have a working composition.
in this pose you need arms.
breasts move with arms and proportions are partially relative to arms.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:22:22 pm
I understand what you mean to an extent, Salvage, about the positioning of the chest being dependant on the arms, but all the proportions of the body must be cohesive with one another and the arms are only part of that puzzle. Of course I intend to draw them proportionally to the rest of the body.

Really the point is moot though, seeing as the arms are the next things I'll draw. :P

I think she'll be supporting herself with her left arm and using her right hand to kind of play with her hair (which will be longer btw). Sound good? Forshortening on the raised elbow will be tricky I imagine. Can't work on it yet though, 'cause I'm at schoool..... :yell:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:25:39 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 05:25:34 am

breastwise this is valuable critique.

The best piece of advice here so far is Salvage for my money. Everything depends on what the full figure is trying to do and what it is trying to communicate. Once you've told us or illustrated that for us we can tell you how to change body language or alter the anatomy to serve your end. What you have right now is a servicable if not a bit vaguely shaped (go back in and draw a SINGLE line for every squiggly noisy contour you've got right now, make these choices, pull a single figure out of the ether) girl in a sitting position.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 09:24:53 am
Update:

LINES AND ARMS!

I know the perspective isn't quite right on her raised arm. Some help there would be appreciated! Do the breasts work with the style I'm using or do they still need work...? How are my lines? Sorry, Helm, the "squiggly noise contours" were not intentional, but rather the product of my trying to sketch with a trackpad! Not fun. Thankfully I've relocated my tablet!

Some notes about where I'm going with this:
I want her body language to communicate shyness but at the same time a kind of subdued playfulness. Her hair will be longer and cascading over her shoulders some. She will be clothed (I'm almost sorry to say), wearing a form-fitting t-shirt and short, denim shorts.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:30:47 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 11:38:29 am
The breasts are fine, quite ample. The left one would be raised higher since the arm is raised. I don't think this body says 'shy' in ANY way though. This is coquettish 'look at my tits', arched back sultry body language. Also generally speaking lower legs thin out more towards the ankles. Do you want an edit for anatomy?

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 04:45:36 pm
The breasts are fine, quite ample. The left one would be raised higher since the arm is raised. I don't think this body says 'shy' in ANY way though. This is coquettish 'look at my tits', arched back sultry body language. Also generally speaking lower legs thin out more towards the ankles. Do you want an edit for anatomy?

Hmm... well maybe she'd be more shy if other people were around. :P I guess I want her to have a more general friendly playfulness about her. I thought the ankles should maybe be thinner, but I was worried about making them look TOO thin. I would love an edit for anatomy! Thanks. :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:20:44 pm

Hmm... well maybe she'd be more shy if other people were around. :P

That's not how shyness works you know.

I tried a bit more shielded a pose. She's trying to be sexy but she's also self-aware at the same time. Some people find this charming.

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 02:40:52 am
I'd have to agree with Helm on the matter - though yours is also quite nice. Also depending on the sort of person you're giving it too, Helms approach may be more flattering. If its too sexual or playful, then it could  be miscontrued and not have the sort of reaction you were hoping for.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 04:49:21 am
I'd have to agree with Helm on the matter - though yours is also quite nice. Also depending on the sort of person you're giving it too, Helms approach may be more flattering. If its too sexual or playful, then it could  be miscontrued and not have the sort of reaction you were hoping for.
I didn't intend for her to be THRUSTING her chest out; it just kind of happened as a result of my trying to make her curvy. I'm adjusting her posture now so she'll look more relaxed.

Thanks a lot for the edit, Helm! I'm learning a lot from it! :)

Still unsure about the arms. I was thinking instead of the hand behind her head, she could be kind of holding her neck.... more of a nervous gesture.

Update coming soon!!

Update:

How's the new pose?

Sorry this is progressing so slooowly. Too much work allows little time to pixel. :(
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:26:19 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 04:06:43 am
I scaled the whole thing down to something more manageable.....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:48:29 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 08:46:55 pm
Update:

Shirt! Sorry, I know I'm being inefficient detailing like this when I haven't roughed out the whole pose, but I was impatient! :-[

I've never pixelled fabric folds in such detail.... Am I on the right track? I'm not sure how natural it looks.... C'n'C, please!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] Pretty Girl

Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 09:57:41 pm
well it looks great even though quite strict... I mean not very adventurous. The color ramp is a bit too clean for my tastes but 'my tastes' aren't exactly a basis for critique.

The pixelling on the shirt is efficient. Carry on I'd say  :hehe:

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 10:24:37 pm
Update:

Shirt! Sorry, I know I'm being inefficient detailing like this when I haven't roughed out the whole pose, but I was impatient! :-[

I've never pixelled fabric folds in such detail.... Am I on the right track? I'm not sure how natural it looks.... C'n'C, please!
Why is her head all scrunched down on her neck?
It seems as though her head is hunched over!
 ::)

But it's still a work in progress, so let's wait until it progresses!

Offline CoolYoshi

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 11:58:09 pm
Shes looking really good now, The shading on the shirt is very nice, cant wait to see everything else shaded. She would look better with long hair, that would bring a more "Pretty" younger look.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:01:27 am by CoolYoshi »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 06:38:26 am
Finally getting back to this! I changed the shirt color (as you can see), and I worked on the shading more. Hopefully gave it some more depth? I also shaded the outlines a bit. Does the arm look alright? I know it's very simplified.... I still can't settle on a pose! :yell:

I'm prepared to throw out all my previous intentions for this piece. If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated.

CoolYoshi: I'll make her hair long! :)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 08:56:31 am
The shading on the shirt is excellent. I learned a good amount from looking at it. Besides that, the only crit I can offer is that the light on her shirt seems to be coming from above, while the shading on her arm is coming from directly right.

Keep up the good work, and keep working on this piece. I want to see it done!

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 09:14:14 am
Thank you! :) Good call on the arm. I'll work on that.

Updates might be erratic in the the next couple weeks.... I'll be working on portfolios for colleges.
Hopefully, if I get this done in time, I can use it! :)