AuthorTopic: [WIP & Nudity] Mushroom Chick  (Read 10036 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP & Nudity] Mushroom Chick

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 11:23:01 pm
Coming along quite nice, but not quite finished.

It looks like the single pixels you have floating around in the whole thing are due to wonky gif saving. I think MSPaint does that. No clue what you used. Try saving as png.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:41:12 am
Color and face edit. Also, reduced the color count to 20, plus transparency.

Contrast! Also, I don't think you need to be dithering this NEARLY as much. Some is perfectly fine, but the single pixel noise especially just doesn't work. Moreover, it seems unlikely that someone who (presumably) spends so much time outside would have such pale skin....

I don't mean to be harsh, but I liked the original concept design a lot better. With her tan skin and only wearing the loincloth and the mushroom cap, it looked like she belonged to a mystical society that is deeply integrated with nature. Now that the mushroom cap matches her 2-piece bathing suit ensemble, It seems like a silly costume. I do like the tattoo though; I think it is a nice addition. However, the seemingly pampered hair just pulls her further away from (at least my impression of) the original concept.

Not like the current design is bad at all; I just liked the original so much I thought it was worth noting. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:28:27 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 10:27:59 pm
her left hand is kinda wonky, it's not as delicate as her right
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 10:48:01 pm
Now that the contrast is increased you can see the dithering more clearly, where is was subtle before. It also makes it look like she has chicken pox now.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 12:00:51 am
Now that the contrast is increased you can see the dithering more clearly, where is was subtle before. It also makes it look like she has chicken pox now.
Well poor contrast isn't a GOOD technique to simply cover up over-dithering. The single pixels just don't work.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 03:37:26 am
Actually it looks like the stray spots of dithering are a .gif saving artifact.  Are you using MSPaint or something by any chance, xdjkittiex? (is there a better way to say that?)

Anyway, I just wanted to demonstrate something here without altering the palette much.  Your shading seems a bit like you're trying to shade from the outlines and provide a little definition, but I don't think you're really considering the volumes!  So I did a rough paintover here just to show what I mean.  Having a light source should mean some areas are generally darker than others, not all within the same few values, if that makes sense.

Offline xdjkittiex

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 04:07:37 am
Lackey - just call me kit or kittie don't worry about the x's lol :)
I am using MSPaint and saving with IrfanView - are there any programs that won't give the spots that you know of?  It would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you for providing an edit - I'll take your points into consideration when I'm editing the girl.  Thank you :)

Zach -
Her left or our left?  What's wonky about it?  Let me know what exactly and I'll try to fix it :)

Helm -
Thanks for all of your suggestions and helping me work on my pixel art.  I've been in dolling for a long time now and am trying to break free of all the things I learned while in it.
I'll take all of your suggestions and see what I can come up with :)

Jad -
I'll work on the contrast :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - I'll fix everything as soon as I can :)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 06:03:08 am
I recommend GraphicsGale: http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/ Configurable hotkeys and great palette control :) Just be sure to set the image to 256 color mode so that changes to the palette show up immediately.

Also, the current hips and lower abdomen are a little weird, they taper far too much as you go up, which makes her belly look a lot bigger than it should be, like she's got that malnourishment thing where your stomache bloats up, like in all the photos of starving African children.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)