AuthorTopic: You've all heard of Rippers, what about "Inkers"?  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: You've all heard of Rippers, what about "Inkers"?

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 06:11:32 pm
Arne made a palette for public use. Though that doesn't really apply here as Arne has generously let anyone who wishes to use his palette, while your scenerio's are about 'stealing' palette's.

I agree with the previous comments though... but on the other hand 'stealing' one color is a lot different that using a whole palette of someone else's. Anyone can pick a color, but not everyone can pick colors that work together nicely. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal.

I'd put 'inking' along the same lines as tracing. It isn't exactly wrong to trace, but how will you learn if all you do is trace?

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 07:59:27 pm
Yes, Xelados, but did he credit you? If so, then that's nice, if not, however, I think he should have.
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 04:51:15 pm
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so apologies if this has been brought up before. I think it's more of an issue with the person who is using another persons palette than an issue for the person who's palette is being used. They have to realise what they're doing, especially if they're procrastinating learning how to pick palettes themselves. If they're using another persons palette because of restrictions or suchlike, it's not an issue at all i don't think (as i hope the artist would want to let people know they were restricting themselves with this certain palette anyway). But with common courtesy, if someone asks, you should admit to your sources. Otherwise you're just lying to yourself.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 11:25:07 pm
I agree with the "colors are like letters" argument, and think it's a nice way of framing it.  Although it's sometimes questionable practice to take a word from a person's piece, it's not the same as a whole line.  Sometimes, though not often, something is done exactly in a way which compliments your ideas.  Of course, it's still better to paraphrase than to simply parrot, but that's more a personal issue again than a larger one.

Anyway, colors themselves are far less important than the way they are used.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.