AuthorTopic: Convert photo with custom pallet?  (Read 7139 times)

Offline Thermoptic

• View Profile

Convert photo with custom pallet?

on: September 11, 2008, 01:52:01 pm
I have a photo and i want to convert it to the same color count and color palette as the c64 then how do i do that?

If i want to lower the colors in photoshop i usually just open a new document, change the Indexed colors and lower the colors to 16 or something and then paste the photo to that document.. but if i want to change the palette colors too?

Oh and has someone made some custom pallets for photoshop that we can download? for c64, nes and other systems?

Offline Thermoptic

• View Profile

Re: Convert photo with custom pallet?

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:05:01 pm
No? ok never mind, I just found this great guide how to convert a photo to a c64 art with the same palette. The .ACT palette file for photoshop is included for download on the page. http://www.klon2.dk/tutorials/tutorial_commodore64.html

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:24 am
That is actually a pretty horrible guide, all things considered, as it does not take such things into account as the color limitations of the C64 or even it's actual resolution. The color restrictions and such are pretty specific, so I don't think there's any easy way to 'convert' an image. Even if you could, though, it wouldn't be real pixel art.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:22:25 am
And why would you want to convert a photo to a c64 screen anyway is beyond me.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:01:17 am
timanthes or one of those programs had a feature where it'd fix images to fit the restrictions.
I have to concur with HMC and Helm though. You are messing with dark magic indeed.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Thermoptic

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:43:29 am
Yeah these things are forbidden stuff when it comes to real pixelart.. i know that :) But a friend of mine just wanted this and i knew i could get an answer here! I myself would not cheat in this way. And Helm.. why anyone want to convert a photo to a c64 screen, why people still like the c64, makes sid music and c64 graphics.. well you have to ask them.. but I love it :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:45:08 pm
I love c64 graphics. I don't love shitty c64 wired photos.

Offline Thermoptic

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:58:11 pm
I love c64 graphics. I don't love shitty c64 wired photos.

I totally agree with you. perfection is essential when it comes to art.. but for my friend its not, he cant see art the way we do.. he just likes everything about the c64, so if he wants to convert a photo in this crappy way, that's OK! I understand why one would like to convert a photo to a crappy c64 art.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 07:36:20 pm
I actually had an idea regarding C64izing stuff back a few years ago. Well, more of a question than an idea. How would it look if you were to grab a relatively new game, say, Soldier of Fortune, and run it through some kind of filter that forced it into C64 resolution with doublewide pixels and using a highly restricted palette? How would it look still animated at 60+ frames per second? Would you be able to make anything out or would it be a garbled mess of horrible color combinations? I'd like to see it.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 06:27:46 am
A while ago I installed linux+doom on to my 2bit grey scale ipod. It was actually playable apart from the shitty control system. I would also like to see something like this. even if it would be a bastardization. it would be a fun one.
I wonder how someone would go about doing this. Maybe use one of the open source fps games out there. or some kind of hardware downsampling between console & tv.
thanks Dogmeat!