AuthorTopic: Grand Cafe 'The Bollard'  (Read 7469 times)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Grand Cafe 'The Bollard'

on: September 10, 2008, 09:46:37 pm
This is Grand Cafe the Bollard.
Its for the Pixeldam.net project, the sidewalks were part of the template.

I would like to hear all your critics, compliments, comments and other thoughts and see your edits.

I believe I am going in the right direction, what do you think? Tell me :)

Thanks for reading and watching

Lollige

Current version!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:25:10 am by lollige »

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Grand Cafe 'The Bollard'

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:22:37 pm
I like it so far. Definitely could use some more tables and such on the second floor, it's too empty at the moment.
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:35:49 am
  • The side of sidewalk on the right edge is very bright, seems to throw the shading off. Okay I actually learned to read.
  • Rendering on the vent doesn't make sense. It's hard to pull off reflections with an infinite-iso (ie no defined position for the viewer), so it becomes much harder to depict metal, but a bunch of parallel lines like that definitely won't work. Same goes for the glass, imo. You need the materials actually reflecting an environment.
  • The fan on the roof is very rough, it needs more attention to make it clearer.
  • There's very little contrast to your greens.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 06:09:42 am
@ Fatalist: The whole place gets filled up with people and chairs and tables etc. :), I am just not yet finished ;)

Thank you for your reply EyeCraft. I think I understand what you mean, but I really have no idea how to do this. Could you make an small example for me? I think that might help me a lot :)
For the windows, they wouldn't reflect that much right?

Ill try to play around a bit with the fan, however it also has to look a bit like there is a raster over it.. (it doesn't really look like a raster now, but when I started it was very smooth and it looked like the fan sticked out.)

Ill change the greens colors, because you are totally right :)

Lollige :hehe:

EDIT:

Small update:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:15:52 am by lollige »

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:47:09 am
I like this alot has a lot to look at. I must say that ur man in yellow at the top at first i was wondering what the hell he was doing and it took me to realise the brown thing is a table i'd try making that more obviouse that its a table.

The vent 'rendering' if you used traditional metal shading methods it would be way too detailed for the style of the piece same for the windows. I'm not saying what you have done is perfect coz it does need some work but i think your attept is fine. Too be honest for metal in simple style iso i would have done something very similar.

With the windows at the mo they are white i dont know any windows that are white if you make them translecent so they still have colour to them but u can see the the inside of the building coming through but with light shades that will help with the windows. Then just add a few refraction lines and that will fit with the style.

I hope you find what i said useful even though it is like a essay lol.

:D
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:06:34 pm
Thanks for your reply dan!

About the windows: Yes, I have plans for drawing the scenes happening inside being displayed trough the windows. At the moment I do not have a lighter color which I can use for a few reflection lines :/.

Current version:

EDIT:

Just for fun: a WIP:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:17:49 pm by lollige »

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:51:59 am
This is the best I could manage. It's weird to work with. First here's an illustration of how I figure the reflection:

EDIT: Actually the redline might be parallel to one of the isometric axes...

And here's an edit of the bottom window rendered essentially as an opaque, dull mirror, and a section of the vents with the position of the sun guessed:

So...how you take a mirror like that and make it transparent is something I'm not confident in explaining. I do know that areas of the glass in shadow will be much more transparent than areas reflecting bright light. Its hard to do reflections in iso and have it look like a reflection, unless you really play the reflection up by making sure the surface is reflecting something identifiable somewhere else in the picture, for instance a fire hydrant or something.

I tried.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:54:54 am by EyeCraft »

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:06:03 am
Thanks for your edit EyeCraft

However, I do not think the door looks a lot like metal now. I understand how the reflection works, but it just looks better in my version I think  ::)

About the vent: You didn't use your reflection theory there, and still it looks nice right? It looks more like metal there (even tough it looks a bit dusted and rusted) than my version. However, you are adding a few colors, and I am not sure if I want that. I set myself a 32 max, and I am at 26 now....

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:41:15 am
Oh, I thought the doors were glass. The principle would be the same with metal, just much less reflection and more scattering.

I did simulate reflection on the vents, actually, they're reflecting the wall (well...sort of...the reflection of the wall should actually be a lot taller) the sun and clouds. The sides of the vents are just reflecting dark blobs because I have no idea what is off to the side of the picture that they could possibly reflect. I've exaggerated the reflection on the vents a bit to try to communicate the concept across. Normally there'd be a lot more scattering and the reflection would be a lot more blurred, I believe.

I added colours yes, but its just for illustrative purposes. 32 colours is very doable, imo. You just need to make colours recyclable.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:15:28 pm
I find it really difficult to create realistic body positions...