AuthorTopic: [WIP] (Nudity) Female character base slightly elevated view (not 3/4 anymore)  (Read 27790 times)

Offline Beoran

• View Profile
This is work in progress sprite base for a female character in 3/4 top-down view, in slight anime-style as the head is 1 to 4 of body size, with a lot of space for "big hair" on the top. The two arms are different as the right hand is opened flat and the left one is clenched in a fist.

Update: current version.

Reference used for this image:

I used this reference because it has the style I like. I tried to capture the essence of the shape of the female sprite, whilst trying not to come too close to the original as I'm trying to learn from the reference, and not rip it. :-[

Restrictions: I want to restrict colors to 2 for the eyes, 4 for the body, 1 for the lips. Sprite size will be: 32x64 I want to use palette swapping to produce different skin colors, and reduce my overall spriting workload.

Any C&C is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:22:10 am by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery

Re: [WIP] (Nudity) Female character base 3/4 top down view

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:07:26 pm
OMG SHE'S NAKEDDDDDDDD NUDITYYY ALERT!!!!!!!

Did you look at any reference? Doing anatomy without any observation is never good, you know.
My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:10:55 pm

I've done a small edit, it was a quick edit but i just wanted to show you what i thought looked wrong.

The things i changed was ;

The head, made more round.
The shouders.
And the Feet

Sorry i never had enough time to do the hands

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:51:10 pm
Bouzolf, no problems there, but I can't say why. ;)

Quake, thanks for your edit, however, it makes the character look more in a front view than a true 3/4 view. But I can see that the feet were too small, and also, the breasts were wrong. But I chose to preserve the head as I had it because, seen diagonally from the top, the head does look quite oblong. So this is my improved version:

(Edit: slightly better breasts.)

I got rid of the right hand gesture because I don't need it, and I think the hands are a bit better like his, but still. I'm also not completely happy with the balance of the breasts, that's why I also shifted the legs to suggest a slightly rotated view in that direction.  I made the feet a bit bigger, but , with the correct shape for a 3/4 view. As for the shoulders, I checked this on a live model, and when seen from 3/4 top view, the line of the shoulders seems to go up towards the neck, so I corrected that too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:05:28 pm by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 01:45:28 pm
May you should fix the problem, where there isn't an absolute middle. This problem is very annoying xD

By this, i mean like on the breasts, there is no middle do one is bigger etc. You just need to move it 1 pixel from the middle.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:39:10 pm
Are you sure you're looking at proper reference? I can't understand how this update has better breasts. Even with an overly tight pushup bra, you're not going to have breasts squished together so tightly that they effectively form a single dome.

Also, the human head may be slightly more elongated when viewed from above, but elongated != conical, which is more or less what you have in your sprite. Also, what you have isn't strictly 3/4 view, per se. It's more of a slightly elevated front view, to be honest. Did a quick edit on the breasts, adding an intermediary shade. Also fixed the head. Didn't touch anything else, really.

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:14:25 pm

Ok, LoTekk, the head was indeed too conical, and I accepted your fix for that.

The breasts however, I think I finally found a better solution for them, using only 2 colors.  As you can see in this reference: http://www.superstock.com/stock-photos-images/1804R-2823 , actually, a woman with not too big breasts doesn't have a cleavage in the middle, but rather, the breasts spread out with mosts of the curves visible around the arms the arms, but with the nipples clearly visible.

And I shortened the legs lower to get closer to the 3/4 view I'm looking for. I also made the belly a bit tighter, for a more female effect.

And also, Quake, the sprite is finally symmetrical. I also tried to remove the middle line of pixels and compress the sprite like that, but it looked too sharp, and removed the cuteness of the character, so I solved it like you see above..

Edit: forgot image tag.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:42:41 pm by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:15:07 pm
Hurrah for nudity!

You've made some improvements on your woman, but she still looks frumpy and a little off.
So here's an edit I made.  ;)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:04:30 am
Ryona, I hope you don't mind if i made some edit on your girl. Just changed the shadows of her body

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 09:25:07 am
And the legs, as well.  Which I think helped a good deal.