AuthorTopic: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!  (Read 190956 times)

Offline Xero

• View Profile

Re: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!

Reply #400 on: February 14, 2006, 05:34:09 am
No one ever comments on my work.

*Shrug* I would comment but I've nothing to critisize, It looks quite good so far, Im guessing your doing the same sort of style as your other one? They should go well together.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #401 on: February 14, 2006, 06:54:16 am
Sohashu:
Increase the contrast to better match the pants.
You might want to look at a few pixel art tutorials and pick up on a few techniques like selout and aa. You've also got some anatomy issues.
The hand holding the sword looks far too small. The outstretched forearm looks broken. (I'd be worried if my arm bent like that.) The leftmost hand also looks broken. The head is very (no offense) unattractive. Lower the eyes about 2px., add some details to the mask, and fix that chunk in the back of his head.
It looks like you've got some stray pixels by the waist. The flesh-colored ones.
You've got light colors adjacent to dark colors. Might wanna add a buffer in between.

First off thanks for the constructive criticism.  Thats why I signed up here.

No Offense to Xero but I got rid of the pants.  I felt like I was cheating.

On the anatomy, the head is cut off by the sword(in front of it)and is just under 7 heads actually.

The mask is unfinished.  I was planning on adding some crests or possibly some symbols. 

I think it looks like stray pixels as the skin tone is close to the belt buckle.

The forearm I fixed.

The eyes I lowered.

Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Xero

• View Profile

Reply #402 on: February 14, 2006, 08:58:06 am
No problem, probably best to do it yourself anyways.. Gotta work on my new sprite, the styles... different :P

yosh64

Reply #403 on: February 14, 2006, 09:52:36 am
hey

@Indigo: I was also awaiting for some more updates before commenting on yours, hehe... but yea, yours looked to be coming along very well, and I thought I would let ya know now incase you lost interest from the lack of response. :-\ I mean when I seen your avatar (that's how I remember ya :P), a spark came to my mind remembering you had a good fighter in the making...

cyas

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #404 on: February 14, 2006, 11:32:42 am

First time doing legs.  Sorry for the bad pants but my sister complained of indecency.  Nothing there I tells you.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

yosh64

Reply #405 on: February 14, 2006, 02:29:20 pm
hey

@Sohashu: Firstly the position of his knees seems very VERY odd to me... I mean, to me his legs look all twisted? also his right foot looks very odd to me, well the perspective of it or something? his head looks quite flat to me? the other big thing that points out to me is his stance... it seems like it's emotionless... maybe he should have his legs futher apart in some sort of agressive or defensive manner? maybe it's just me? sorry I can't help you more with the "how to" on fixing it... but I bet someone is around who can!

EDIT

I done an edit to strait'n his legs out like I think, hope you dont mind? hmm, well his left leg seems to look to short now? needs to be moved down a tad from above the knee.

ALSO I assume the shorts are NOT finished? so I won't comment on them as yet... AND I also don't like the DARK pixels around his abs, as in the 1st version, as they make them look out of place and unnatural or something to me?

cya
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 04:09:56 pm by yosh64 »

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #406 on: February 14, 2006, 11:25:53 pm
JWW:
Wow, you're showing incredible improvement. *thumbs up!*
thanks!

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #407 on: February 15, 2006, 01:56:10 am

Looking to move on to the portrait soon : x

how is it?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #408 on: February 15, 2006, 02:25:55 am
how is it?
Kewl.
The only thing bugging my eye is the hand. And honestly, I don't know why. Perhaps it's a bit too small? Yes, even the reference chick (the smaller one) has a bigger hand than your dude. Probably innacurate, but it would look better bigger, IMHO.

yosh64

Reply #409 on: February 15, 2006, 02:47:49 am
hey

@Zolthorg: I dont understand some of the folds of the pants. How can there be folds strait accross from above the knee? that looks very odd to me. I think there would only be folds strait across at the top if they were wearing greatly oversized/long pants, and they have pulled the pants up from above the knee (rather than folding at the bottom???), so they are not to long. But they would have to be constantly re-pulling their pants up above their knees, as the force from the weight of the lower pants and movement would have them drop back down? I can kinda understand folds strait across at the bottom, as the cloth has less force pulling down to straiten them out. ALSO your sprite doesn't seem to carry many characteristics of a "fighter"? maybe you should have put them into a fighters stance to help this? but i dunno... :-\ but yea, good luck with the portrait!

just thought of some more things...
I also agree that the hands are to small (well much so with the right hand), and I think this really makes the bracelet look odd? like it would fall off right away?
Their (sorry, dunno if they are male or female) right arm also looks much to short, unless the arm is stretched backwards into the distance, but the lighting/shading and the perspective of the hand and bracelet dont seem to support this.

cyas
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 03:40:52 am by yosh64 »