AuthorTopic: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!  (Read 192646 times)

yosh64

Re: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!

Reply #250 on: January 15, 2006, 11:11:15 am
hey

@Ro83rt: I am quite concerned as your sprite doesn't appear "finished" to me... where are his hands? I must say that it looks very flat, especially around the outer legs and also the arms! I think you need to add a darker shade around them? I also think that the origin of the folds on the legs are odd? I would think they should be from the knees? and should be used to also define the knees? alike Scuba Steve showed earlier in this thread? and also I do not understand his right arm sleeve either? same for the feet? and finally the line art of your protrait stands out to much to me? well this is really so on the neck and hat areas, I think you need to blend the colors more? maybe even add a color? but overall I quite like your portrait... hmm, anyhows thats all for now... but maybe someone will greater knowledge can extend on what I'm trying to say? if yas understand?

sorry if I was/am not being constructive enough with my comments, and also sorry if I am being harsh, I hope you can continue and improve. I will attempt to make an edit on your sprite to help, but I don't know if I have the skills to do so.
---
EDIT:

okay, here is my edit... well someone else can probly do better? I just edited mostly his right side... and I still dont understand the end of his right arm sleeve and what its meant to be? :\
NOTE: I just edited my edit, just changed the right arm a bit, amoungst some other lil things...
NOTE: I just edited my edited edit, just added a bit more depth to mostly the right side of his body, and other lil things... :)

hopefully you can see he now has alot more volume and contrast? I myself actually had a simular problem with my first fighters I made, and was lucky to have FROSTBITE to point me in the right direction with an EDIT! :)
MY ORIGINAL :-\   FROSTBITES EDIT :D

cya
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 05:09:21 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Bo

• View Profile

Reply #251 on: January 15, 2006, 02:02:26 pm

i went for a very different style on this portrait.

so unless anyone got some big complaints, then its all done.

also i updated the knees of this one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 02:08:27 pm by Bo »

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #252 on: January 15, 2006, 11:04:12 pm
Dude, Bo, it'd be cool if you made a whole cast of Canine fighters...you've already got two awesome and distinct fighters...

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Reply #253 on: January 15, 2006, 11:34:32 pm
I do think, though, that fighters are a bit too small to dither.  At least with that contrast-y of a color.

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #254 on: January 15, 2006, 11:40:24 pm
As stills, they work OK... but animated they would look bad.
Glub Glub!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #255 on: January 16, 2006, 12:13:51 am
I enjoy looking through all the different styles in the showcase, but then I get to mine and get like "Eww."
Everyone's looks purty.
I think I'll make another.
...and spend less time on it.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #256 on: January 16, 2006, 12:59:53 am
at least yours isn't THIS bad:

(WIP)

yosh64

Reply #257 on: January 16, 2006, 04:31:59 am
hey

@Xion Night: I think your portrait is very well done :D and your spite is quite nice also :), BUT the shorts dont look realistic to me, and subtract from the image? I think you need to redo the folds, and maybe alter the color of the shorts also... to something alike Alex Hanson-White's edit. anyhows I certainly dont think "Eww." when I see your fighter in KOS2006, hehe.

cya
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 05:10:56 am by yosh64 »

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #258 on: January 16, 2006, 08:38:58 am
made some more progress on my entry:

any crits?  other than that the portrait is flipped...i'm gonna leave that, it'll get less symmetrical once i add the roots of his arm in on his left side

Captain Blood

Reply #259 on: January 16, 2006, 01:04:25 pm
Hey thanks for giving my one a much more appropiate background.  Looks pretty cool.  The default color portrait still needs updating as you can clearly see some differences lower down when he switches through palletes. Also I don't have a website anymore but I figured it should be ok to just link to my PixelJoint account as thats got the largest amount of old and recent pixels of mine.  Is here http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?pg=1&id=449&sec=icons

It's really shaping up now, huh.  The boards looking much more crowded and the different styles are great.  Superb work all round but I gotta say my personal faves are by Kenneth, Dhaos, Schu, Kazuya, Sonic, DE, Razz and Chilly.  Also I like Bo's dogman creature's portrait.  Would love it more if it had saliva dripping off the mouth and looking even more rabid than it already does with that crazy eye.  Istvan's one is great too but the portraits pose is just a tad disturbing.  Something about Silver's portrait reminds me of something I can't quite place, but I like it. And I love Helm's portrait just cos it sorta reminds me of Chakan and various comic book art.

By the way Scuba, my sister's boyfriend has a scarf very much like the one on your fighter.  Very similar colors.  We tried hanging him from it at one point.

If I got time I'd like to do another one if that's ok?  I got an idea last night of what I want to try.