AuthorTopic: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!  (Read 190877 times)

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Re: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!

Reply #240 on: January 14, 2006, 11:55:48 am
Awesome work on the portrait Alex! So detailed and carefully crafted. The face, the breasts, the folds, the arms- all beautfifully shaded. Apart from the solid hair mentioned by flaber (which looks like youre planning on correcting) I have a couple of other things that bother me.
The lineart looks rather awkward. Posing with your arm in such a place, whilst holding a spear, just doesnt do it for me. Something about the angle of her neck and spear makes it almost look like she's just caught a weapon which was aimed at her head.

The hand holding the spear doesnt seem to give any sense of weight, and its angle loooks like it was drawn before the rest of the character. It just doesnt look like it's holding the spear tight enough to actually hold it.

The only other thing is her right eye. Cover it with your finger (against the monitor) and the face looks great. It just seems like it needs to be shifted down slightly. It ain't easy lining up facial features at this sort of angle.

I know I'm being nitpicky, and am by no means a pixel master, but it just seems a shame to not have this incredible piece absolutely perfect. Once again, the level of '3D rendered' detail youve managed to attain with a few pixels is brilliant.

The sprite is also tight. I like that you gave her unconventionally wider-than-the-average-femme-video-game-character hips. The only thing I'd consider is substituting the dark black AA with perhaps a tad lighter colour and remove the slightly pillowness to the thigh shading.

EDIT: Forgot to nominate a website were I accepted into this thing. I'll just use my pixel joint gallery for the time being please: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=279
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 12:00:39 pm by istvan »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #241 on: January 14, 2006, 08:01:50 pm
Alex...... :o
I saw the link of your site....and I realised you are Kon!
(That's the name I knew you by.)
You are one of my pixeling icons! (And St0ven.)

I must say (as I said before.),
those KoS sprtes you made are brilliant!

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #242 on: January 14, 2006, 08:25:47 pm
Thanks,
Various people have mentioned the black pixels on the sprite being too dark and make the thighs look jagged, I'm thinking I should fix that.
As for the hair on the portrait, I left it solid black since the sprites was solid, but now I think I agree that it looks out of place. I'll try to fix that up.
I realized the hand was not holding the spear correctly after I had finished drawing that part, but I liked the way it looked so I didn't fix it :P Hands are tough.

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #243 on: January 14, 2006, 08:44:20 pm
Thanks,
Various people have mentioned the black pixels on the sprite being too dark and make the thighs look jagged, I'm thinking I should fix that.
As for the hair on the portrait, I left it solid black since the sprites was solid, but now I think I agree that it looks out of place. I'll try to fix that up.
I realized the hand was not holding the spear correctly after I had finished drawing that part, but I liked the way it looked so I didn't fix it :P Hands are tough.

instead of changing the hand, just add a grip on the spear that thickens it enough that it looks more natural

sonic_reaper

Reply #244 on: January 14, 2006, 08:53:36 pm
An update on the portrait;

No one's c&c'ed my sprite or portrait ... are they really that crap?   :-[

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #245 on: January 14, 2006, 09:30:54 pm
No one's c&c'ed my sprite or portrait ... are they really that crap? :-[
WTF? No! It's way cool, man. Very stylish. Maybe just lessen the black to...uh, not black.

I'm so tired of this thing.
Here, take it away.

sonic_reaper

Reply #246 on: January 14, 2006, 09:42:27 pm
Hm, yeah, there's an over-use of black.  I dunno what I was going for there (comic book style?) but I don't think it looks very aesthetically pleasing at all.  So I'm trying a new style here;

istvan - Very, very disturbing  :o  Heh, but if that's what you were going for, awesome job!  The buldge is especially disturbing  :'(

Dhaos - It's extremely well done technically, but the style isn't my flavor.  However, that's completely subjective.  Good stuff!

Alex - I can't help but feel she has a very "lustful" look on her face (whether that was intentional or not), so I think the best course of action for the hand placement would be upright along the spear.  JMO.  The color choices, as always, are exceptional and your style is as always, flawless.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 09:54:35 pm by sonic_reaper »

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #247 on: January 15, 2006, 03:39:46 am
Kon as soon as I saw your sprite I had to play with it to make it a little more "realistic".

The white eyes and teeth just seemed too goofy to me.  I wasn't going to bother saying anything, but now that you've posted the portrait, it bothers me even more since youve gone so realistic with her face in the portrait.  Maybe something to think about.

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #248 on: January 15, 2006, 04:55:33 am
Well For maybe about the hundredth time, here's my finished entry:

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #249 on: January 15, 2006, 06:24:18 am
I rarely am speechless when it comes to seeing sprites, however the potrait you made Alex completley winded me. That IS pixel art.  The sprite itself is nice, was hoping for a muscular character from you, deep down inside...but i can forgive you for a portrait like that :D