AuthorTopic: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!  (Read 193283 times)

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Re: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!

Reply #210 on: January 12, 2006, 02:20:07 am
Hello everybody! I'm new here, but I really wanted to participate so I joined this forum =)

This is my entry:

Faesthril

By saturday I think I'll have finished the portrait =) Hope you guys like it.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #211 on: January 12, 2006, 06:52:40 am
uh-Helm I really love the way you did the face and all but

...why'd his vest turn purple and his shirt ugly yellow all of a sudden? there's also a big problem with the lighting, the thing is you are not applying light right, light never darkens, it only applies to brighten something (like it was explained in that lighting tutorial in the resource thread) so when you use that purple light over the brighter...or nearly just as bright yellow it looks like the vest is just bleeding over it.

also, the sprite kinda looks like he stole the goggles from Splinter cell guy, I dont think it really makes sense to pretend splinter cell goggles will recreate the sense of lighting in the portrait, if anything you should make his top body gradually darken, as if the eyes sucked the light out of anything in the vincinity to lit everything from the eyes or something.

Offline Machu

• Psychos with chainsaws rock
    • View Profile

Reply #212 on: January 12, 2006, 08:00:19 am
Dude, I totally want a piece of this action!

Hmm... I'd better make something bigger.  I'd submit Brittany, who's in my avatar, but she's about 80 pixels high!  I got other sweet ideas, though.

yosh64

Reply #213 on: January 12, 2006, 09:37:42 am
hey

call me crazy? but I really like Helm's portrait, I just assume it was an image of his fighter during the night time, which I think is really cool. I do not know much of the technical details of lighting? so I cant comment on that :\ but it all works for me :) but maybe it can look even better with Camus's advise??? i dunno... BUT I do think the eyes need a little work, they look very plain and undefined, well I think the glow needs to be softer as the light grows, if ya get what I mean?

BTW, I like ya latest edit on ya actual fighter sprite, how ya made the face/eyes look more like in the portrait, gives him alot more character!!!

cyas

Offline DE

• Baroque Boy
    • View Profile
    • LUNE

Reply #214 on: January 12, 2006, 10:12:44 am
OK, here's my set:

Thanks to Helm, istvan and Dhaos for their help.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #215 on: January 12, 2006, 11:48:36 am
...why'd his vest turn purple and his shirt ugly yellow all of a sudden? there's also a big problem with the lighting, the thing is you are not applying light right, light never darkens, it only applies to brighten something (like it was explained in that lighting tutorial in the resource thread) so when you use that purple light over the brighter...or nearly just as bright yellow it looks like the vest is just bleeding over it.

There's various unrealistic things about the lighting, I agree. It's supposed to be in nighttime, but also, if I went with complete realism I'd just have to have it all blue with radiant blue secondary lightsource as the eyes, and I thought that would be boring. So the lighting is comic-book style, and colour-mixed because I feel like it. Besides what you mention, the eyes really do not light anything, it's as if they suck in light instead of giving it out, so all talk if realism goes out of the window.

I like your idea of gradually making his top darker, but I don't think I can pull it off nicely right now. As it is now it IS a bit half-assed (with just the face going dark) but I think it's alright. Can't really invest much more time in this anyway.

Thanks for the critique, though.

Offline DE

• Baroque Boy
    • View Profile
    • LUNE

Reply #216 on: January 12, 2006, 04:39:09 pm
Helm, I fixed your sprite for you ;) :D

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #217 on: January 12, 2006, 06:47:18 pm
Sheer brilliance.

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #218 on: January 12, 2006, 08:15:29 pm
heres mine :D

oh and the web link: http://www.kennethfejer.dk/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 09:00:24 pm by Kennethfejer »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #219 on: January 12, 2006, 09:56:19 pm
haha DE :P

Kenneth, you're using 22 colours on your sprite/protrait, and a lot could be easily merged with no loss of info or purty. Just saying.