AuthorTopic: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!  (Read 190903 times)

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Re: King of Spriters 2006 - Project of the Millennium!

Reply #60 on: January 04, 2006, 02:02:27 am
I personally like the blue version better. Goes better with the pale white skin. Are those dog ears?

Offline Gazette

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: January 04, 2006, 02:05:24 am
Cat, actually. Tiger if you want to get really technical. His name, Torayaki, means fried tiger.

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #62 on: January 04, 2006, 02:23:07 am
Really.  :o Are you japanese? Or did you just learn that somewhere else.

Offline Gazette

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: January 04, 2006, 02:55:26 am
The girl who inspired his design thought it up for me. She's pretty cool.

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #64 on: January 04, 2006, 04:28:45 am

Crazy Guy in SF3 style

I don't really do portraits, i threw this together in about 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 06:32:09 pm by The Cold Mage »

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: January 04, 2006, 04:34:51 am

will probably animate her later, but first i'll do the portrait.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #66 on: January 04, 2006, 04:52:32 am

9 col.

Excuse me. No portrait yet. Also not quite SF style.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: January 04, 2006, 06:17:41 am
I definitely sucked at pixelling during the last KOS, so I'll try to whip up something good enough this time around.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #68 on: January 04, 2006, 11:11:02 am
Yeah I'm in. I'll fire up pro motion right now and see how it goes.

EDIT:

heh, really didn't feel like going for another 'jeans and t-shirt' theme, so since I was listening to the Fields of the Nephilim, I decided I might as well go for a western outfit. KOF games are outrageous enough so that something like this might fly. Obviously western helm knows no actual martial arts hence the unguarded gunslinger stance. But no guns. He stands no chance!

technically wise, this deviates a lot from more proper KOF or Capcom styles, as there's dithering, an alternate lightsource and a very unified palette ( there's no way this can be palette-cycled in case two players wanted to play the same character, for example) but a little bit of variety will make the final selection more interesting I think.

Portrait later.

EDIT 2:

I wanted to critique as well, so here we go.

Scuba: new one much, much better than the last one. The last one has no proper center of gravity at all, he would fall over. The animation, although afterthought-ish, is inventive, nice usage of the scarf, and yeah, the fingers are a pain but you did a very good job. Nice, vibrant colours fit the mood of this type of thing fine.

Portrait's not as good. The left arm is severily short. T-shirt kinda plain in terms of interesting wrinkles, but I guess that's just a nitpick. I dig the pointing hand, but the wrist there doesn't connect right.

Captain Blood:

by the way, Captain Blood. There's copies of you all over the gallaxy, and they're after your vital fluids. You better go to their planets and kill them. Good luck with your mission.

As to the sprite, I've seen it before. dislike the heavy usage of black. It palette-shifts nicely enough, the more human-skin-toned one is my favourite version. You've invented a lot of muscle groups for this, but I guess that's sorta ok as well, depends on how realistic you want this to feel.

Acke:

Nice sprite in design, suffers from some issues. The pant folds and shading are too random, I think. Both arms are a bit malformed and do not suggest a fighting pose as much as someone flailing their arms about after they've fallen asleep. Like the face detail, and the colour selection's ok, besides the pure grays you should basically just avoid.

TakaM:

the lower Ken-like pose does not sit well at all with the limp arms and general out-of-balance body above. NEVER rip stuff, even if it's just toes and cloth highlights as in this case. What you basically did with the body is rob out all the dynamicism of the pose by making the arms perfectly horisontial or vertical, in right angles, facing directly down or in front. Human bodies, especially bouncy martial arts stanced and whatever tend to be all odd-angles and covering space for defense or quick jabs. You're got your fighter basically doing the robot with the top of his body, while in a karate stance with the lower part. Doesn't work. Extra points for little big adventure reference, though. And the Portrait works quite well, especially considering you're 'breaking style' with the simplified Twinsen face.

Robert:

The sprite isn't done. AA outlines, clean up colours, highlits. Do more shading. Right now what you've got is closer to lineart than finished sprite.

Skalle:

Overal a nice piece. Sadly the cloth folds are really not working at all. All of them look random and 'draped'. They don't follow the body beneath them, and seem like connected cardboard pieces. Generally your sprite suffers from looking like a paper cut out doll. A clearer overhead lightsource and a reworking of all the folds might help the case. Face and hair look fine.

Ruyumaru:

jarring colour choice, blanket shading everywhere, impossible folds for cloth, anatomy issues, no understandable lightsource.

Scuba's second piece:

Nice pants, you're wasting the blue shade on the coat, too close to black right now. Generally a simple but effective sprite. I'd aa the little bit of facial hair there, but no biggie.

Silver:

do not mirror human beings. Also study anatomy, as you've got a very weak grasp of it. Why is your character wearing a scarf like scuba's. He doesn't in the portrait.

M Bison: what scuba said

Stoven:

this is it, more or less. Best entry so far, and by far. Study this here, everybody. No real crits besides the stray pixel on the piece of wood there. Excellent work, Stoven.

Splat: nice to see you do some small work for once. It's a simple but effective sprite, although the colour choice leaves a bit to be desired and I'm not sure if the pose would work in a game. Unless it's a mid-frame from some introduction movement or something.

ejay:

very, very good. The sprite suffers a bit from being top-heavy and out of balance, but the folds are nice. The pants could use a bit of reworking, though, especially the right (ours) leg. The colours are great, the portrait works very well. Simple KOF two shade-and-buffer folds, all correct. Going from the second shade to pure black might be too harsh, though.

Schu:

simple, but again, effective. Any way you cut it, I think the head's too small for those legs, though. Or maybe the legs should be toned down a bit. Folds could be worked more, but eh, matter of preference and style. Nice shoes.

Gazette:

Pants too large, and whereas you've got the KOF-type circular shading thing going on, you go from darkest to brightest very fast. Might go with a bit more gradient spacing. Personally prefer the green version.

Demented Hero:

I'd start with studying anatomy a lot. There's lots of errors and I don't think you'd benefit from tweaking this point-by-point.

Cold Mage:

Pretty nice animation, the straigthjacket could do with a lot more angles and folding, it's not made of fat rubber. Head too small for feet again, so I suppose this is following some Capcom unwritten rule about head-to-feet-ratio I haven't observed?

Kenneth:

simple style, underdetailed by my standards, but you know what you're doing, so I'll shut up on that end. I'm not uptight or anything but I think the panty shot is unwarranted in this case. It's an idle stance, save that for some sort of roundhouse kick I guess? Dig the little earth people a lot.

Crazy Asian Gamer:

Pick a brighter palette, shade, and study anatomy and the general fundamentals of drawing, really. There is more specific pixel art critique to be made but I'm not sure there's going to be much benefit from it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 02:59:22 pm by Helm »

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: January 04, 2006, 03:52:51 pm
Thanks helm !
I well do some anatomy studies .
The scarf issue , well .....  he dont wear it all the time .
your entrie is amazing by the way .