AuthorTopic: [wip] my first palette  (Read 4208 times)

Offline chimico

• View Profile

[wip] my first palette

on: September 06, 2008, 10:26:12 pm
hey there! :)  i've been lazy for too long, so here is an experiment for a palette with a happy-living feel. i'm quite satisfied and i'm using it for future projects.
the random guy is my first human sprite... his face turned out pretty boring. would you mind giving me some advice, especially about the colors, the blue shadows and the face..? thank you!
uh, there's just an only lightsource because i wanted it.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] my first palette

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:21:47 pm
Sorry to see you haven't gotten any comments...it happens often here, as I've seen.

Anyways, I really do like the colors you have right now. The transition from a kind of lightish red to dark blue is kind of harsh, but I think you're doing a good job so far, keep it up.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:07 pm
looks good so far.. finish his legs.

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:44:37 pm
thank you! : ) here are his legs. the picture on the right is the latest... the first pose looked just impossible to me. i changed his eye and (a little bit) his boots, anyway i don't like the hand. any advice?
the shirt's colors are bothering me a little, too... i thought of purple and brown on it, but i haven't thought long enough.

i forgot to mention it should be a sort of beat'em up or ninja pose.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:47:38 pm by chimico »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:54:41 pm
might want to try and make the thighs on the legs have less wrinkles since that part of th eleg is usually wider than the lowerleg and thus the pants would probably be tighter there.
the shape of the boots are not well defined(the 3 dimensional impression i get is that they are blobs or socks..).. pick the important features of the boots and make sure they get expressed in a way which is understandable to the viewer. its just hard to discern how the boots are structure currently.
his open hand looks alright, but th eclosed hand is kinda thin i feel, but he does have a skinny frame of a body, so i dunno.
the foreshortening on the outstretched forearm isnt working.. try making it darker(so as the arm points more towards the viewer, the less light should shine off it towards us).. you may want to extend the elbow out more to the left on the same arm.
also, the shirt is kinda short..

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Re: [wip] my first paletteS

Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:03:39 pm
very sorry for the long waiting. i'm still trying to address your advice about the old piece (it's hard) and i've finally done a guy for a game i plan, based on a drawing of mine.

he's supposed to live in a kinda medieval india, during the islamic conquest, but with magical beasts and no historical hint. he's pretty young and rich, but that's quite all i know of him by now. i want him to be cute and little, though the game is addressed to 11+ boys, because the gameplay is rich of nonsense missions and has some blood.
i can't consider this a palette XD it's the worst color selection i've ever seen. that's a pity because i like him. help!

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:02 pm
The legs are too long, almost to the point where its creepy. Please make them a bit shorter.
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"