AuthorTopic: Character portraits  (Read 8638 times)

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Character portraits

on: September 06, 2008, 08:40:04 pm
Here are some Eye of the Beholder -type character portraits, just for fun. (But in anticipation of a possible challenge as well.) 16 colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Character portraits

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 09:18:43 am
They're pretty great! The aa on the blue girl's hair doesn't work though.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:58:16 am
Thanks, I fixed that.

This is quite fun, I made two new characters.. to practice different lighting conditions. I've been adjusting the palette, still not quite there but it's now down to 14 colours so I could get two more.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 03:20:02 pm
These are sweet! The banding on (2, 2)'s (where top-left is (1,1)) forehead where it meets the hair bothers me. Try breaking the bands up a bit.
With the palette, that brown thats third from the bottom, maybe swap that for a grey? I get the feeling that could be more useful, since there's no greys at all! I think you'd be able to use it for AA on the previously mentioned forehead, as well as add contrast to the shadow on (1, 1)'s face.

Do a wizard and a thief! I'm so original, I know.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 02:01:18 am
The wizard's cloak bothers me. Instead of a cloak with checkerboard pattern, i read it as being hair done badly.

Maybe it should inherit shading from the head. eg. where right side of forehead is dark, right side of cloak should be just as dark.

Is the pirate wearing a shirt?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 11:02:07 am
Eyecraft: Ok, I'll try to fix that.

sharprm: Which character do you mean? None of them is supposed to have a cloak..If you mean that white bearded guy then he's a fighter wearing a chain coif.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:26:44 pm
I meant the old dude. I don't know what a chain coif is but i think my crit should apply regardless,edit: the shading deosn't make sense to me, should you shade it more like a sphere? ie. towards the edges, make it dark. Where is the lightsource coming from?

I saved it as gif in paint and it screwed up and that can't be undone but it should illustrate my point.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:48:11 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 07:12:34 am
Sharprm: Hmm, I like the irregularity of the left side on your edit, I also should add a bounce light.

Just to make sure we're both talking about the same thing, a chain coif is a piece of armor made of metal rings sown together, like this one. So the material is not cloth.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 08:03:20 am

I did the edit again since you were interested in how i did the chains. I assumed the chains were bigger though, going from your piece. Big chains are kinda stupid though. Hope it helps. The others are all fine except the pirate who i think needs a different colored shirt.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:05:09 pm
Shaprm: That was a nice edit, thanks. It had a lot of subtle things in it that should've been obvious to me when I made my original pic. I modified the old guy a bit. The pirate's not wearing a shirt, so I lifted his body up a few pixels, hopefully it'll be more obvious now.