AuthorTopic: Gravity Hook!  (Read 22724 times)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: Gravity Hook!

Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 08:11:09 am
I got a bit over 1000m... It's really fun and hard to drop once you start. One thing that bothers me a bit is the warning which is nothing but a visual impairment when you're close to danger. It's really bad when you have a lot of horizontal speed and want to orbit around a mine real close and you can't see anything due to the red bar blocking you. Maybe change it so that there's a red thing at the edges of the screen rather than in the play area.

Other thing is the horizontal speed. It feels a bit different from vertical speed and not just because of the gravity. Like there's a slight braking on horizontal movement.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 05:46:10 am
Thanks for the feedback guys!  Rosse especially, that is very much the impression I hoped people would get from the game!  warms my cockles...

Xion - yeah I actually just got the B music track tonight, I'll be uploading it soon :D  fixes for C and some high score screen music too...

Huzba - hehe the warning blocking out the center of the screen was definitely intentional, but its also...kind of mean.  An edge effect is definitely a better design, I will see what I can do toward that.  In the in-game movement there is both horizontal and vertical drag, and lots of special casey stuff...so horizontal movement is definitely a little different from vertical.  Use it to your advantage!

Thanks again for playing the game, and I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, makes me feel good!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:06:53 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 06:08:33 am
Heh, I enjoyed this! I would be perfect for a mini-game on the ds.

Online highscore's would be nice!
Oh and I agree about the warning image, it seems superfluous.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 06:45:32 am
So, I was just playing, and I hadn't been able to get very high lately (only around 500 my last dozen or so times). Normally I just zoom up as far as possible. But this time, I caught a little snag around 200m - I slungshot around a node and went flying towards the bottom of the screen. Normally, I'd just give up and let myself fly off the bottom, but, I dunno, this time I felt lucky. I grabbed at a distant node, and it slowed my descent, but not enough to save me. So I grabbed at another, nearer node, just at the bottom of the playing-field, and it swung me around once, my yellow bot just barely brushing the bottom of the screen. I didn't have enough speed to make it to the next highest node, so I grabbed it and swung around again, popping just high enough to get the next one. I hung there for a second, unsure of whether it would pull me or not. It did. I flew up another hundred meters or so, and once again began a quick ascent, diving from node to node with virtually no loss of speed. Of course I slowed down eventually, and it happened at two nodes that were conspicuously distant from one another. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not get to that next minething. Like, I'd grab at it, but it wouldn't even slow me down. I'd try again, and same thing - no luck. After about seven tries to jump from the low node to the high, I finally mistimed it and hit the mine. Fortunately, though, I finally broke my low-streak, as my new height was 1231 - my personal second best. It may not be highscore worthy, but I'm quite proud of the recovery I made early on. Just a reminder that even when all hope seems lost, you mustn't give up. You mustn't give in. Reach for the forbidden, and soar to new heights.

:D

Also, I think this game is about desires and aspirations. You must constantly set new goals for yourself or the ones you settle for will be your downfall. We mustn't settle for anything for then we will merely stagnate in our ways and become victims of mediocrity. Yet we must set goals nonetheless, and we must reach them, as near as we can and to the best of our ability, or else we merely stay grounded to the known, and the safe, and the never hope for anything more.
This is made evident not only in the actual gameplay, but also in the game's design - your personal best lies at the top of the screen, where you desire to be. It is not the all-time high of some other faceless three-character being thousands of miles away, one that we know we will never reach. Some absurd number. it is your personal best, indicating that you have done it before, and you can do it again. And if it can be done again, it can be done better. Seeing the number motivates us. And yet, when we choose to quit and return, we find the number - "my number" - gone, wiped away as though it never were. Thus we are forced not to settle even for our own all-time highs, but only the recent ones. We must constantly re-assess our abilities, and set a fresh goal with every beginning.
We are not kings. We are not gods. We are all mere civilians, deep beneath the ground. But only those few diligent and brave enough to set goals, to reach those goals, and to surpass those goals with newer and greater aspirations - only those who wonder how deep they really are - will ever actually find out.

::)

I like this game. Great game, Adam. I like it. :y:

edit: Also, to anyone who says it's too hard, try playing with a tablet. That's not a challenge, it's a suggestion.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:08:32 am by Xion »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 07:16:53 am
Online highscore's would be nice!

There is online hiscores, only that atm you need to get past 2200m and a bit more to get in :B
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 07:42:34 am
Yes, and I'm resetting them tonight or tomorrow  ::)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 08:06:00 am
I shall return to former glory!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 08:54:36 am
<2cents>
suggestion for the high-score art:
hand-written heights on a wall (toilet wall) with the hook shining, hidden behind movable bricks with a note saying "can you get higher ?" ...

it would make it not about just one civilian wondering "how deep are we", turning it into a sort of urban legend "there is a hook that can let you reach the upper world"
</2cents>

*edit* just noticed that it would go against your will :
The other was to make something that was intentionally and I hope evocatively abstract.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:08:24 am by PypeBros »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 09:17:48 am
eh... my high score is 1685 at the moment.  I'm absolutely loving the game.  So much balance within such a simple concept.  I'll gather my thoughts later and post it.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 03:27:42 pm
Only got around 900+ points. It's a game I keep coming back, really great job.

Maybe you can also add an interesting picture on the background if you pass every 500 or 1000 points. Something you can look forward to as a  reward. Then again, that would probably distract the player and get himself killed :crazy:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:31:46 pm by Froli »