AuthorTopic: MSX Remake: Knightmare  (Read 13019 times)

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Re: MSX Remake: Knightmare

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 03:26:06 pm
Very helpful. Thanks to everyone.

I've softened her abs and give her some hips. Not too much because she shouldn't have pelvis indeed. She's still in her way to become a more femenine creature ;)

I've also tried to increase contrast. And, of course, I've started the snake tail texturing (using this pixelation thread as guide).

New vs. Old

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:33 am
New vs. Old

Uhm, is it just me, or am I the only one that thinks these recent depictions of Medusa, are more MANLY, as opposed to Feminine. You don't need muscles to be frightening, you know. In fact, with bulging muscles like that, and maybe it's just me talking, but I find it more comedic, than a big, bad, scary boss. Also, she must have caught a glimpse of her own breasts, cause those things look like stone humps glued across her chest. Remember, breasts hang off the pectoral muscles, shaped like a tear drop racing down a wall. And, to much women's dismay, they sag with age.

Of course, the main thing I'm concerned with in this edit was just her upper body and head, didn't really do much with the scales or clean anything up there. There were some pointless near value colors, but you fixed that with your latest edit. Basically, I'd rather you have  detailed her head a bit more, as that is Medusa's main focal point, seeing as how it's pretty much the focus of Perseus's main weapon toward other monsters. Also, what's with the hands behind her back? Seems like a cheap copout from forcing yourself to draw arms and hands.
   And last but not least, your "Satyr" character breaks the imaginative plane, in which these characters are standing in(ie, breaking perspective). Take a gander once more:

Hope this kinda' helps, and good luck with your project!
my back hurts...

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 12:51:16 pm
I'm trying to made her more feminine on every sprite revision, but I haven't find the right balance between an athletic female body and the female version of Hulk Hogan. Her muscles aren't intended to produce fear on the player. I didn't want to show a monster, but something beauty (or some sort of) at first sight that can become ugly and fierce when fighting (please, have a look at the attacking animation at the first post). She misses snakes on her hair and doesn't have claws nor huge teeth because of that. Btw, my wife agrees with you about Medusa's breast ;).

On the other hand, you're right about her arms, I cheated. I still have a ton of sprites to work in and a very tight deadline (we are developing the game for The Retro Remakes 2008 Big Competition). I know, I'm trying to excuse myself instead of being working on it :P.

About the satyr, he is supposed to be bended towards the front (because of the difficult of walking with goat legs and so), but as you remarked it seems like a normal person draw on a different perspective. I'll work on it once I'll have a running game engine to test it in :).

I don't want to forget to thank you for your edit. Nice point of view. It has give me some clues, mainly about the tail's lightning. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:56:11 pm by dfcastelao »

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 08:16:45 am
I think that now I have something that looks like a woman. Finally, I've decided not to follow the path of the monster, but I've had some good ideas thinking about that. I've almost ripped B.O.B. 's tail lightning, your edit has helped me to reduce the color count and made the whole image more coherent. Thanks a lot!

I think that the bulk of the image is finished and it only needs some final polishing. C&C about her is still welcomed anyway :)

New vs. old:

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 07:35:09 pm

Your Satyr is trotting like a pacer.  :wah:
Normally you move the arms and legs in opposite directions when you walk/run.

You picked a great game for a remake. MSX had loads of great Konami games during that era.
I almost bought an MSX last weekend. I wish that one-chip MSX will come true some day.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:38:23 pm by robotacon »

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 02:40:18 pm
Yep, our team has already done remakes of some MSX Konami games. Let's visit Braingames homepage to have a look. You'll find a very good "Maze of Galious" remake there. We are open to any kind of collaboration, of course ;D.

About the sprite, mmm... he is moving arms and legs in the opposite direction indeed. But... maximum arm movement and maximum leg movement are not exactly in the same frame. Maybe that's what you find strange about it. I can't test satyr animation in-game yet, so I'll keep working on this sprite whenever it's possible to test it :).

On the other hand, I'm working on another final boss right now. She's Atropos, one of the Moirae sisters. I'm completely stuck with this sprite. She will flight waving from left to right and throwing those big scissors to the player. The main problem I have I'm unable to get a decent shadowing :-[ for this one. I'm neither sure about how to detail it too ???

Any help will be welcomed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:55:43 pm by dfcastelao »

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 03:43:35 pm
New final boss: Nemesis

Still a WIP. She will hold a sand clock and a flame sword. C&C wellcomed.

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 02:13:29 pm
I've keep working on this image: I've added some gadgets to her hands and changed the whole palette. I've been told to rework her hair, with I fully agree. Are there any other notorious flaw that I should correct?

Edit: Finally I reworked her hair and corrected the body posture.

Newest vs. New vs. Old
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:53:30 am by dfcastelao »

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 03:09:25 pm
After finishing Nemesis I'm working on another final enemy: the Minotaur. He is supposed to handle a couple of big axes, but I don't really know how to fit them on the image. Maybe I should get rid of the sprite size limit. It's a PC game after all and sprites size is not a very important constrain.

Edit: I almost forgot. The blob is almost finished.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:12:54 pm by dfcastelao »

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 03:38:45 pm
I've keep working on the Minotaur.

Old vs. New:

I didn't really like how the axes fit on the sprite. Maybe I should try another pose  ???
I would really appreciate your C&C about this (and any other image on this thread :)).