AuthorTopic: MSX Remake: Knightmare  (Read 13017 times)

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

MSX Remake: Knightmare

on: September 05, 2008, 10:33:40 pm
Edit: This is an aged thread right now. Let me post the latest versions here:

Characters: Popolon

Bosses: Medusa, Atropos, Nemesis, Minotaur

Enemies: Blob, Satyr

Tile set

Tile set mock-up

The original post can be found below this text:

Hello there!

I'm doing some graphics for a remake of Knightmare, a MSX game. Action is supposed to happen at ancient Greece, so we are trying to get closer to that atmosphere than the original game was :). The main character, Popolon, is a Greek hero. I don't know what the heck is a Greek warrior doing wearing a horned helmet, but the original sprite had it and we wanted to keep his look  ;D.

I'm also drawing the tileset for level one. I would like to heard your opinion about it. I'm mostly worried about colours combination between the different surfaces. Road tiles doesn't seem to be too integrated with grass and dirt tiles :(.

And finally, a mock-up. Not trying to do something beauty. Just playing a bit with the tileset.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 11:25:25 am by dfcastelao »

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Re: MSX Remake: Knightmare

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:54:05 pm
When I first looked at it before reading the text, I thought that the path was a wall. So yeah, it does stick out a bit too much.

The problem is that it has more contrast then the player himself. Tone it down a bit. The more contrast something has, the more it sticks out, which is why many games have very muted backgrounds.

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 01:12:51 am
Thnx a lot. I've lowered contrast and added an extra dark color. I needed that extra color to recover some of the deep that was lost when reducing contrast. Some other minor changes added.

I'm quite happy with the road tile right now. I'm still open to any suggestion about it, off course :).
Can someone give any advice about the sprite? He is the main character and I would like him to be the better before starting with the animation stuff ;).

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 09:42:33 am
Give him more contrast, that will let him stand out. Darken his edges to get a negative 'halo'around him to separate him from the background.
For the rest of it, it's okay. Loved the actual game too :P

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 04:38:44 pm
Sorry for not replying in a long time. I went on holidays :)

I've added more contrast to Popolon sprite:
New vs. old:

I've also created sprites for some enemies:

Blob:

Satyr (maybe a replacement for the very boring armored knights of the original game):
His movement is a bit hard because I think that someone with lamb legs won't be able to run on standing position gracefully :).

And the first final boss: Medusa

This boss is composed of several sprites: face, hair, body and four tail segments. The tail segments will slide when Medusa moves.

As you have probably noticed, they're still WIP. Any c&c will be wellcome.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:00:35 pm
Medusa Edit:

>>>

Tried to make her look more like a woman and less like just a man with boobs.... Also color edit.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 01:53:01 am
Started doing some anatomy girlyfing changes (face and chest, BEEG AMERICAN TEETEES), then went for better volumes/shading definition, and did some texturing and crazy palette changes, tried to unify the colors a bit and pop contrast more. Looking at tehwexx edit, maybe contrast could be taken further.

Pretty nice sprites you've got there, the main char and the monkey are looking good. The blob needs clearer lightsource and volume definition. The medusa animation looks good also, but could be further worked on
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:55:53 am by Turbo »

Offline dfcastelao

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:00:26 pm
Thanks for the kind replies. I've done some changes following Turbo advices, I'll go with the colors later.

In her first incarnations she wore some kind of robe, so I gave her that wonder-bra breast. Only the neckline was going to be visible. Btw, I've heavily followed Turbo edit, I really love it. Truly.

I've also reduced her testosterone dose as sugested by tehwexxl0rz. I've reduced her shoulders and made her arms and face a bit thinner.

New vs. old:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:04:14 pm by dfcastelao »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 06:30:22 pm

needs hips. I changed the lightest skintone to something more contrasty.  Doing the girl->snake transition is hard, I suggest maybe changing the pallete so that the girl colours merge into the snake colours. Anatomy ref: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/tocky/107nt5.jpg

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 02:24:31 am
tehwexxl0rz edit Vol. 2!

I see now that in my last edit, in trying to make her more feminine, I accidentally made her look like a weak, pretty, young lady. Now, I've tried to instead make her look like a strong, old, cold-hearted bitch! YAY! :P

I still think the face in your latest version looks like a man's face, so I tried to address that here. Also, I tried to make the arms less bulky, but still clearly very muscular.

I referenced Turbo's edit a bit for anatomy. Also, color edit again. I might have taken the saturation down lower than you'd like....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:31:17 am by tehwexxl0rz »