AuthorTopic: Hakishi Small Sprites [Yet another project]  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Hakishi Small Sprites [Yet another project]

on: September 03, 2008, 11:13:10 pm
Ok, so I used 5 colors in this, two grays, black, a yellow, and two browns [?]. I was seeing what I could do on a *very* small scale and with limited colors. I actually really liked what I've made so far, so feel free to critique everything in this little mockup!

Tree| Rock | Tiles | Swordman | House (My Fav)

Not a ton, but I thought I'd try making a game out of this, with a hack n' slash type gameplay. I might try some enemies later.

Sokota

Note: The guy is animated, but its only two frames for walking, and the smoke [Above the house]  is also animated, but is not in sync with the rest of the tiles.

Offline Jiisuki

• Hello!
    • View Profile
    • Jiisuki.net

Re: Hakishi Small Sprites [Yet another project]

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:31:32 pm
The yellow is really hard to read, either darken the background or change color to something else. The contrast is really low between background and the sword.

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:37:06 pm
I disagree, the yellow really stands out.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:00:17 am
Not really, you have to look for it to notice it. Black, red or blue would all be easier to see.

@Sokota
Why did you try to AA the head? It looks odd. Try use two colors to create a character out of this. thing. flesh for the head, green for a jack and... flesh for the naked legs? He'd be a running flasher or something. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:32:42 pm
I agree that the sword should be a different colour but thats because it's all I look at. I think the yellow is way too over powering I can't pull my eyes off it to look at anything else.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 01:15:28 am
The yellow is really hard to read, either darken the background or change color to something else. The contrast is really low between background and the sword.
I disagree, the yellow really stands out.
I agree that the sword should be a different colour but thats because it's all I look at. I think the yellow is way too over powering I can't pull my eyes off it to look at anything else.
Gee. Now I'm confused. I liked it, because the sword was the thing that was supposed to be the focal point. And the reason I AAed the head was to make it appear round, which it did, because if you remove the AA or fill those pixels in with black, it's either a tiny nub for a head or a square. I'm hoping someone would comment more on the house and trees.  ;)

Sokota