AuthorTopic: copyrighting one's pixel art...  (Read 4083 times)

Offline irontoad

• View Profile

copyrighting one's pixel art...

on: September 03, 2008, 10:26:09 pm
Hello all... I didn't see this question in the FAQ, but if I missed it there, forgive me... I'm brand new to this site, and would like to post some pixel art I've created for critique/comments... but I'm very paranoid, and before I do, does anyone know what you have to do to claim copyright to your pixel art creations?  Would burning the images I've created onto a CD, then mailing the CD to myself with the postmarked date be acceptable, or is it something that has to go through the copyright office?  Thanks for any help,

--Zach
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:33:59 pm by irontoad »

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Re: copyrighting one's pixel art...

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:41:30 pm
Hello all... I didn't see this question in the FAQ, but if I missed it there, forgive me... I'm brand new to this site, and would like to post some pixel art I've created for critique/comments... but I'm very paranoid, and before I do, does anyone know what you have to do to claim copyright to your pixel art creations?  Would burning the images I've created onto a CD, then mailing the CD to myself with the postmarked date be acceptable, or is it something that has to go through the copyright office?  Thanks for any help,

--Zach

Umm, from my experience your art is always "copyrighted" so if you see your art being used somewhere you can just claim it to be taken out or what, as long as you can proof it was made by you. Or if someone made an exact or very similar drawing of yours you can claim it as well...
However that doesn't mean that someone cant see your idea and make it into his interpretation, you can protect art not the idea.... (PS: this part of not protecting idea may change from case to case... so that arguing don't pop out :P)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:47:04 pm
Moved to general discussion

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:56:58 pm
Mailing a CD to yourself would help you if you ever got into a legal battle over your pixel work, but you gain copyright the moment you create something.  I doubt there will be any reason that you would need to go to court over a case of internet plagiarism though

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:58:18 pm
Thanks to the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, you have copyright for at least 50 years on all your work from the moment you make it and record it on some physical medium (a hard disk is OK, but if you're paranoid, make a print), and this in most countries in the world. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. You cannot change the people, most will be honest, a few will be dishonest, and no law in the world can change that.

Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 07:05:24 pm
I believed there was some law or such that gave you full copyright as soon as you uploaded it onto the internet. I'm not good with this stuff though.

Offline Krumbs

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:40:27 pm
This thread has been very helpful. I too have had this problem, and would like to post some sprites from my game but was scared of gettting it stolen.

I'm glad I don't need to pay anything to copyright it, I always thought you had to go into a building to copyright something  :)