AuthorTopic: IJI, a classic 2D game made by a friend of mine.  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

IJI, a classic 2D game made by a friend of mine.

on: September 05, 2008, 07:09:10 pm

I apologise if this is inappropriate, but my friend finished his 4 years of work on classic style 2D video game. It's really great fun, and the art is in a mix of 2D pixel and polygon style, so I think you people may enjoy it. It plays a bit like Metroid, but the graphics are more Another World style.  It's freeware for Windows, but runs OK with Wine in Linux too. Mac people may be out of luck.
Get it here: http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: IJI, a classic 2D game made by a friend of mine.

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:44:01 pm
Why would this be inappropriate? I really like Iji personally, though I must say the another world angular humans style clashes pretty strongly with the anime faces. The game is well-made and difficult (at least in the difficulty level I play it!) and doesn't disrespect the player. Tell the creator that he did a pretty amazing job and that we thank him  :P

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:24:20 am
Well, the angular style of the characters is due to them being poylgon-rendered from 3D models. But I think the pixel art in the background and anime portraits more than makes up for that. :)
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 09:37:09 am
No I think it's the other way around: The characters are stylish and interesting in motion most of the time, but the anime portraits hurt it lots.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:28:31 am
That first screenshot, the horribly jpeg'd one, is inappropriate, surely?

Iji is pretty great. It's so weird to play an action game that makes pacifism seem like a viable option.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:30:22 am by tocky »

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:28:52 pm
Yes, in Iji, near-pacifism is an option. I played the game the pacifist way, and it's perfectly doable on normal difficulty. There are only 2 or 3 kills of living beings you really have to make in this game, all the others are optional (or accidental, in my case). The whole point of making this possible was to make a statement about the use of violence.

In many video games, the only way to get anywhere is to use violence against your opponents. But if you go through the game killing everyone in sight in what aspect then are you different  from your opponents? But if go through it, you trying to kill as few people as possible, then it shows that you're ethically on a higher level. Often, there's a better solution than using violence. That was the statement my friend was trying to make. So I reccommend you play the game in the violent way first, and then in the pacifist way. The difference will be noticeable. :)
Kind Regards, Beoran.