AuthorTopic: Tribute to Samurai Champloo [a-a-a-animated]  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Tribute to Samurai Champloo [a-a-a-animated]

on: December 30, 2005, 10:34:40 pm
This is a rare attempt at animation by the ever elusive "Crazy Asian Gamer" species. In fact, this is the first one ever to be made public.

Enjoy.  ;D

13 colors.
C+C welcome, (Yes I know I didn't AA the title frame).

Kudoz off to Xion Night, where I first got a glimpse of motion blurring in pixel art.
Other kudoz go off to Samurai Champloo, a VERY nicely animated anime.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 10:39:08 pm by Crazy Asian Gamer »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Tribute to Samurai Champloo [a-a-a-animated]

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 05:35:15 am
would it hurt to add just 2 more colors. the motion blur would look much better if seperated by the ocean backdrop. also i think a more calm ocean would better contrast from the fast motions of mugen and gene.
the style you created with those 2 characters is hilarious, in a good way. like an rpg sprite with personality... now that i think about it, it looks like you used stovens tutorials to use here, with the rpg spprites and the stars.

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 05:55:59 am
would it hurt to add just 2 more colors. the motion blur would look much better if seperated by the ocean backdrop. also i think a more calm ocean would better contrast from the fast motions of mugen and gene.
I was thinking of that. I guess I wanted somebody to affirm my suspicions about the water. You certainly are correct, or so I would believe. As for the colors... uh...
I'm a stubborn mule when it comes to colors. I actually have room for 3 more colors, since I use the color for transparency in the background. But again, I'm a stubborn mule with colors. I'll consider though.
now that i think about it, it looks like you used stovens tutorials to use here, with the rpg spprites and the stars.
The stars are common. I merely use them because they're so pretty (despite being common).
However, you are completely correct about stoven's tutorials. I've gone over them quite a bit. At the very least, they influenced me greatly. I use them very often as reference and I guess I should give proper credit. Therefore...

You rock beyond words st0ven.  :D
Actually, I should also give credit to the spriting pixel samurai.
\,,/ Shuku!!  ;D

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 06:31:01 am
 Great work there CAG. No shades for the skins, but it appears pretty good. Looks like he's got a good style there. Why use more colors when you feel suited to use 2? Stick to your style man.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 08:40:35 am
BUT WHO WINS??????

Maybe you should round off the top of the moon a little more. Just take off that top pixel layer, probably.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 08:43:06 am
Heh. I got Kuds.

Nice, nice. I like the style. Mind if I ask why you're so withheld when it comes to colors? Are you used to making Game sprites, or are you just cheap? I'd definately suggest changing the contrast between Gene's shirt and the water, and perhaps brightening Mugen's shirt to bring him into the foreground.
If the water must be animated perhaps to a lesser extent? Just 1-2 horizontal pixel motion per line, maybe?
!
Yeah, now I see...They remind me of the Samurai Champloo versions of the River City Ransom characters...Man, I loved that game.

Anyway, good anim, and fun to watch.

• View Profile

Re: Tribute to Samurai Champloo [edited]

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 05:36:25 am
Nice, nice. I like the style. Mind if I ask why you're so withheld when it comes to colors? Are you used to making Game sprites, or are you just cheap?
I'm a coder first and a pixel artist second.  ;)
That's coder art right there, heh heh.

Thanks for the feedback people. I came up with an edit:

Upped it to 15 colors. Made it a sunset background. Did some stuff... yeah.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 09:04:47 am
Heh. I got Kuds.

Nice, nice. I like the style. Mind if I ask why you're so withheld when it comes to colors? Are you used to making Game sprites, or are you just cheap? I'd definately suggest changing the contrast between Gene's shirt and the water, and perhaps brightening Mugen's shirt to bring him into the foreground.
If the water must be animated perhaps to a lesser extent? Just 1-2 horizontal pixel motion per line, maybe?
!
Yeah, now I see...They remind me of the Samurai Champloo versions of the River City Ransom characters...Man, I loved that game.

Anyway, good anim, and fun to watch.

Come on people, he has the right to express himself. He uses no shades, so? It's art, they have the right to express their own creativity. Btw Crazy Asian Gamer, I love the animation you made there. The pixel art isn't equivalent to other people's style, but the animation totally is sweet.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:09:04 am by Andy Tran »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 01:36:27 am
Whoops, sorry if I sounded offensive at all. I respect your low-col style, I was just curious.
Anyhow, the new one is much, much improved. The blur is more discernable on both chars and the sunset is purty. Good on ya.