AuthorTopic: Low Poly Funky Monsters  (Read 15729 times)

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Low Poly Funky Monsters

on: September 01, 2008, 10:54:38 pm
A new project of character design made for fun.
This time I'm working on a sort of funky and colorful monsters.

I started this project with a pixel art of 4 monsters :
(arne's palette)

The first monster in 3D low poly:

The second monster:

the next coming :)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:46:54 am by madPXL »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Low Poly Funky Monsters

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:00:07 pm
thats really cool.... however i think the hands and feet could be made better like in the 2d version.  especially the transition from leg to foot.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 05:14:29 am
In lowpoly 3d stuff like this, can you use a single pixel as the texture for a surface? like, if you were making a character where the only complex texture is the face, and everything else is flat colour, could you use all of the colours to make up the face image, and just use that as the source for all of your model's textures?

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:52:58 am
Yes tocky, in answer to your question, you can use a single pixel for the texture of a whole surface. It all depends on how you set up your UVMap. You mainly do this to reduce the final size of the completed texture, thus saving memory. This would be very important, I would imagine, for devices like mobile phones etc... where you want everything to be as efficient as possible.

Jason.

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 07:29:24 pm
it would be really awesome if you could do, like, a tutorial or process video or something to show how you make these.
i totally love them, and i'm baffled whenever i open blender and think about mapping the pixel art to the polygons.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 10:26:09 am
it would be really awesome if you could do, like, a tutorial or process video or something to show how you make these.
i totally love them, and i'm baffled whenever i open blender and think about mapping the pixel art to the polygons.
I have been working with AC3D (which is available for Windows, Mac and Linux). There's a tutorial for it how to texture simple objects: http://www.inivis.com/ac3d/tutorials/carbody/ Maybe that will give you a hint.
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 12:45:52 am
thats really cool.... however i think the hands and feet could be made better like in the 2d version.  especially the transition from leg to foot.

I will edit it :)

I don't have time to make a process video...For the mapping, I learned with the low poly works from Kenneth Fejer. It's interesting to see how you can map your model with a low resolution texture! Just look and try to understand what the graphist did!

So, another one!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:48:44 am by madPXL »

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 08:32:11 pm
It would be cool if you could display your UV maps so we can learn/critique/etc from them.  :)  BTW, nice stuff.  And in regards to the question about using a single pixel, it also depends on whether the textures are filtered or not.  I've only worked on console games (so maybe this doesn't apply to cellphone/handheld systems) but if the textures use bilinear filtering, the pixels will be sampled and blended using adjacent pixels on the map.

Mobichan