AuthorTopic: Help with trees  (Read 30794 times)

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Re: Help with trees

Reply #60 on: October 11, 2008, 06:20:55 pm
Trev, the Giants were upgraded but I didn't posted them here hehe
The outfits have a bended arms and I did a full version of the dragon

A point that needs to be explained is that this perspective does not exist and can not be reproduced in real life...however it's an top-down view with 45 degrees of inclination
If you rotate the sprites 45 degrees you will see what I"m talking about, it's the same perspective...just a mind trick
It's easier to our brain to see up standing things...in 90 degrees cuz we are all used to it

Heres my explanation guide:

it's 45 degrees ;P as u can see

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #61 on: October 11, 2008, 07:10:00 pm
yeah yeah I got that. its a military perspective or an iso but with 45º. but if you can do that, why did you go for that one in wich "people have to adjust to it" even if it takes just a couple of minutes.
I'm not having a go at you or bashing or anithing. but since its such an unusal perspective, why did you chose it? cause I really cant see and advantadge unless the fact that it is still based on an horizontal X and vertical Y, instead of a tiled X and Y of isometric view. is that the reason why you used this view? Cause I dont really soo THAT much more detail then on an iso view, but there is more detail then in a topdown. and even then, maybe your character is showing the top and front but no the sides, but once you start walking to the sides he'll have to rotate, no?

dont read this as a complaint, I have nothing to say of your work. I'm just curious on why you chose this perspective.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: October 11, 2008, 07:53:01 pm
I was intorduced in pixel art my do'n these sketchs...I think that's why haha it isn't easy tough and the final version is preety rewarding xD
Guess that's why  :P haha

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: October 12, 2008, 12:21:30 am
@Kazuya: It has gameplay advantages, especially with multiple floors.  Also, people who play/have played Tibia are used to it.
@Andre:  It looks like you made the smaller one by resizing that one.  Either way, the same issues exist.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: October 12, 2008, 11:18:23 am
@Redhsrike, It is not of gameplay value as the same gameplay can be achieved by rotating this back 45 degrees, normal isometric perspectives, even dimetric and topdown can achieve this.
It's mainly lazyness of programmers methinks, as it is a direct grid, instead of a recalculated, angled grid.

@Andre
Yes the outfits have bended arms, both arms bended equally
The dragon too is completely uniform. Make the stances dynamic and posed, it creates a much more interesting and alive feel, even to a still image.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:20:19 am by TrevoriuS »

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: October 12, 2008, 07:55:51 pm
Well Trev, it's my second dragon...I guess I'm still getting use to perspective details
Would you mind gving me an example of what you mean?

All these sprites are my work for Britain Project...and as long as I've studied, the parts need to be simetrical...
I know I can make it less uniform, but it's hard to make it without making it completely non-sente and out of perspective
but I'm learning...please help me  ::)

I'm focusing in be as good as you or Redshrike, or even Alenius.  :P

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: October 12, 2008, 08:44:18 pm
I personally have much more coordination if I rotate the inital perspective 45 degrees back to get something more isometric. Then you can also much more easily stick to the perspective, as your center of gravity can be derived from the Y axis of your sprite directly. So I start sketching a human, rotate it back, and adjust it a bit. With this, I've got a shape ready to obtain clothing, accessories and colours. I do keep things quite roughly, I would even in the end, as these objects will all be in motion, and a moving object requires lless detail as it is harder to read. So loads of detail will either fade in the movement and become unnoticed, or even mess up the look of the sprite as it moves due to the after image.

Let this (inexact) illustration help you further:

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: November 10, 2008, 12:07:37 pm
Hello again guys, today I'm gonna post a wizard statue I just did:

37 colors :D

Offline straypixels

• SHAZAM!
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 01:19:10 pm
Does this perspective make anyone else want to fall over?

It's definately not my cup of tea, and I have no idea how you can work in this perspective, but the colors and design are top notch. Other than the crits I've already seen, great job :)
Straying since 1999

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #69 on: November 11, 2008, 07:14:29 pm
The perspective is odd but with logics not hard to get used to. The fact you wanna fallover in this piece, is because the back is bent, then the head suddenly sits on top of the torso looking way too much upwards. You'd see less chin and much more top of the head in this perspective, and I'd put the head down a few pixels, as it's an old men walking a tad bent.