AuthorTopic: Help with trees  (Read 30790 times)

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Re: Help with trees

Reply #50 on: September 25, 2008, 05:27:40 pm
Altough tocky's edit runs a lil bit out of the game perspective, I totally agree that it need to be somehow more round. I'll try to improve that one having this in my mind, thanks ;)
Any comments about the blue one?

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #51 on: September 25, 2008, 07:59:41 pm
Timpa: I understand how the perspective works, but I think it's too clinical if you draw everything exactly straight, especially with characters - they look more real if you draw them slightly off the mark.

Offline Timpa

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: September 25, 2008, 09:24:53 pm
Sure they do but that gives the illusion of the wrong perspective

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: September 25, 2008, 09:31:07 pm
Talking about the perspective, I fixed the HIll Giant arms that was just too short

see what you think
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:33:13 pm by Andre »

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: October 06, 2008, 03:58:09 am
Allright, here comes my new characters for Britain Project:

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: October 11, 2008, 06:37:24 am
Did a tiny dragon...
21 colors
:)

Anyone interested in the project please, send me a PM  :)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #56 on: October 11, 2008, 12:18:21 pm
this point of view really messes up my eyes!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: October 11, 2008, 12:51:43 pm
I't just a variant of an isometric projection. Apart from the perspective, which seems okay to me, your sprites are all way too uniform. You're drawing living things, don't draw them like perfectly symmetric statues, give them life. No way your arms and legs are perfectly aligned as you stand still!

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #58 on: October 11, 2008, 02:03:12 pm
well I dont see it much as a variation of iso, since its the same or close angles. it just look like while in the process of making an isometric game, the camera man got drunk and fell asleep and the camera tilted to the side. no matter what the perspective (isometric, planometric, axonometric) the vertical lines are allways vertical lines. except maybe for dimetric perspective. but even then the effect is reduced by shortening the height of the objects to half of its original height. I dunno, maybe its just me
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: October 11, 2008, 02:34:08 pm
It's not really isometric; it's more like isometric rotated 45% counterclockwise.  Once you get used to the look, it has the same benefits as isometric; you see the top, the side and the front of an object all in one view, and it lets you pack more detail into a small space.  It was more widely used back in "the day," most famously by a few of the Ultima games, and later by Tibia (an old mmorpg which, interestingly enough, "borrowed" its graphics from ultima IV (I think it was IV, somewhere around there) at the start).  Anyway, it's not a "real" perspective, in that you can't get it in real life, but once your brain adjusts to it it looks alright.
Anyway, @Andre: I like the head and neck on that dragon, but the rest of it really lacks detail.  The back seems to be flat noise and his wings are pasted flat against his body.  Think a bit about how he's put together.  His back shouldn't just be flat; it's going to have muscles and a spine.  The wings need to be moved back a bit (where do they connect to his body?) and they would probably look better if they were spread out.  His legs, feet and tail also seem to lack detail; they look more like tubes than actual features.