AuthorTopic: Help with trees  (Read 30793 times)

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Re: Help with trees

Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 04:14:22 am
Thank you for the tip, I'm not the beastmaster, you know ;D but I'm up to it hehe ty Red

A significant modification into the creature...

It's a jaguar-like animal anyway haha, see if you agree with the modification

is 25 tones too much for a single creature?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:02:13 pm by Andre »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 02:56:19 pm
I guess people are not so fan of this kind of perspective =/

well, honnestly, i haven't said it earlier because i thought it was too radical (likely requiring a major reworking of all your art, questioning the overal design and stuff). But indeed, i'm not fan of that view. My mind is always fighting with my eyes to try and convince them they're watching someone standing, and that i'm not about to fall given my viewpoint. The usual isometric view, and even the Zelda-view are more comfortable in that they keep the verticallity untouched.

Afaik, only sokoban had such a "angled" (Pisa?) perspective, but almost exact top-down view, so there were just a couple of pixel to induce depth.

Another thing i note is that most of your art (especially the walking guy) is hardly readable against those dark backgrounds you're using... i would be curious to know whether you intentionally have such a dark "playground" or not. And i fear when you'll turn to a brighter background (e.g. grass), the character will simply appear as a dark silouhetto by lack of contrast.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 03:07:29 am
ultima 6 & 7 and tibia also use this perspective (both have been mentioned earlier in the thread). pretty sure there are a coupla others floating around too. definitely not my favourite though.

Is the well meant to be smaller at the top than at its base? seems like a strange design for a well to me.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 05:39:35 am
PypeBros: Indeed, I was using dark tones, I'm trying to avoid this. I'm trully sorry that my pixel art whole pratice wasn't the one you use here, which I rather want to master =D
I've come into pixels for about 1 year, with this perspective, so I got to many addictive mistakes =/ That's why I am here...expand horizons ;D. I'm really greatful for your point shown here, thank you ;)

AKira: This well was projected to be a medium water container...used by some village to take water with a pipe system...so it's just a reservatory
I've never done this round perspective before, feel just fine with it, altough I would fix the bricks ;)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 07:38:32 am
if you plan to keep that perspective, I guess it would be helpful for future pieces such as wells, houses, etc.,  that you provide us with a sideview silouhetto of the object.

Offline $ymbol

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: September 11, 2008, 10:56:16 am
The ground is off of your perspective, it's just top down.

The different objects vary in perspective as well.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 03:13:29 pm by $ymbol »

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: September 11, 2008, 03:24:57 pm
Exactly. But the style support this, the nature elements, the houses, the people; they are the responsable for the perspective it self.

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:40 am
Hello again people, back to my old thread I'm here to show you some of the new pieces I'm working on...

Anatomy, yeah... Those are my two giants, the Blue Giant of the North and The Friendly Hill Giant.
I'm study'n anatomy at college this year but still I'm sure you guys can help me fix some mistakes out.

Thank you.  ;)

P.S 36 colors each. :D

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 08:12:31 am

main thing is the tangent with his face and shoulder, but I think generally this stuff could be improved if you use less straight 45-degree diagonals (more curves) and skew stuff up and right a bit if it's nearer to the view.

Offline Timpa

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 02:52:38 pm
Your edit makes the whole guy crooked... the idea is this..

All the major things like feet arms shoulders and eyes need to allign and be horistontal to eachother... otherwise it will look like the perspective is off.