AuthorTopic: [WIP] dog monster!  (Read 15034 times)

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] dog monster!

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 07:58:32 pm
rock'n edit, tocky!
thanks, i agree with your head positioning, points about negative space, and avoiding overlapping colors.
hopefully when animated, the movement will help create some separation of shapes.
i might try another shadow tone too, but trying to keep color count low for ease of animation.
my problem now is trying to get that back to appear hunched, while not having the pelvis be pushed back far enough to almost disappear as it is now.
but good stuff from you, much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:03:22 pm by Salvage »

Offline Salvage

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:09:16 pm
beefier legs, new colors, and attempt at making the shading more interesting with some vascular shapes.
the veins would be a pain to animate in a walk, but i cant think how else to "beat the sphere" shading which (as tocky points out) tends to make him appear as though assembled of balls.
any thoughts?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:17:00 am by Salvage »

Offline Salvage

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 08:15:36 pm
Began roughly gearing up for animation, please let me know if you notice any major flaws:

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 08:20:04 pm
I don't know if it's just me, but i seem to see that his head moves the opposite direction to the relation of the torso.

I mean like,..

When his head moves, his legs seem to just stay straight.

Offline Salvage

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 02:46:47 am
quake, not sure i'm feeling you.
for me, the head turn seems to read as going with the shoulders, which is intentional.
anyway, i critiqued the walk myself and realized i needed to track the feet in true iso space:

Offline Bacteriophage

• watch me make this pen disappear
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 03:17:08 am
The right leg (his right, our left) needs to extend forward just a slight bit more. Other than that, though, I don't see any problems yet.
B)

Offline vagabondarts

• View Profile
    • ShadowLands Online

Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 09:36:52 am
quake, not sure i'm feeling you.
for me, the head turn seems to read as going with the shoulders, which is intentional.
anyway, i critiqued the walk myself and realized i needed to track the feet in true iso space:

wow thats a sharp edit... I didn't even notice that!  I wish I could have eyes for my own stuff like you do for yours.  I'd not miss as many mistakes

Offline Salvage

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:17 pm
well, thanks, here's more critique:
the colors are boring.
i don't think they will contribute much to effective separation of shapes when animated.
so... i came up with this eye wrecking palette.
minds were broken, bricks were shat, etc, etc.
too weird?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:05:29 pm by Salvage »

Offline Salvage

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 11:04:29 pm
starting to color it in.
color color color.
hope its reading.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:18:48 pm by Salvage »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 12:11:11 am

Sorry for texture edit now that you've gone on to start animating, but I felt I should urge you to push the finish a lot more. First of all, your colors are nice, but your value set is not. I think the lower end needs to be darker, and the brighter end spread out more so that the top yellow doesn't merge with the white. It may be an issue of monitor calibration also, to some extent.

Then, the bulbous lighting blots, I am not a huge fan, they look like cancer a bit? I would suggest very very subtle breakup of the shapes with dither and styledither.

A lot of what I do in the edit is obtuse but not purposefully so. I look at it and try to think how I can maximise the capacity of every pixel, how I can make it give more information to the player. So in lack of a pure black that would segment more fully the various shapes so they don't mesh, I used an artificial sharpening effect! Look where the left (ours) arm meets the face, see how I made the contour hugged by a brighter edge? This helps the eye not think the face and hand are the same thing. There's a lot of pixel-level optimization which actually might not be wholy useful to you because firstly it's down to what rendering style you personally enjoy and secondly because I can't really... explain, why I think it's better to do it this way. At the end you can look at it and take from it what you wish. My main piece of advice is to care about the finish more. Your shapes and volumes are sound, the nutritional value, as it were, is there but the character is sometimes in the topping.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:13:02 am by Helm »