AuthorTopic: Current wip looking for advice.  (Read 7906 times)

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Current wip looking for advice.

on: August 31, 2008, 08:39:25 pm
Here is my current WIP it is done from a old sketch I did will in japan, I finally decided to scan it and color it , I thought it would make a nice second pixel project.

This is as far as I have gotten at the moment, I figure advice at this stage is batter then advice after completion.

- updated 11:46
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:36:52 am by nw15062 »

Offline -Marc-

• Dear Knuckles, please brush your teeth.
    • View Profile
    • profile at stop motion magic

Re: Current wip looking for advice.

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:09:20 pm
 :lol: guns n guitars.... winning combination  :y:

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:42:35 pm

latest updates, still looking for feedback as I progress.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:30:13 pm
First things first... it's huge! You could scale it down to a third of it's current size and it wouldn't hurt it. Would also make it more manage-able to work with, and closer to be called pixel art.

Anyway, from what I've seen from your other thread, this isn't on par with your current level of skill. Right? Why not re-do the sketch and work from there instead? That would make our critique more accurate. But I'll post what I'd originally thought to write anyway.

His stance is awkward, it looks like he's falling forward. The coat movement suggest that he just started to move, backwards. These two things conflict and make the image difficult to read.
You need to work on your facial anatomy. The eyes looks like he's a madman (if this is intentional that's fine though), but the face need some fixing up. Check pictures of real people in that pose. The body is okay, but could need some work, mostly in posing. Although... he has six fingers on his right hand!  :o

The way he holds the guitar looks very uncomfortable, especially if he's moving about. I would change it so that the guitar at least face the other way, otherwise the strings would get stuck in his hair when he moved. It would also make it easier to work with without losing the effect the guitar was intended for, since the silhouette of the guitar would be more important than the details.

Finally I'd say, take a few steps away from manga/anime and learn to draw actual human beings first. I had to do that myself. It's worth it. When you get the hang of anatomy there's no trouble in doing manga style again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:33:25 pm by Luzeke »

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:56:34 pm
He is running so ofcourse he is off balance, I am not sure what animal I drew but I thought he was human, anatomically I dont see any problem. it is anime style sure, eyes are suppose to be crazy looking he is supposed to be enraged.

I guess I could make smaller. I will give it a shot. although I have seen some other large pixel projects on this site so I dont think that matters.

My skill level? this is my second pixel project it does not mean I have not done other styles of art, including vectors.

If I drew a chibi would you tell me it is anatomically incorrect? you critique does not seem to help me where I am looking for help and is more along the lines of complaints with my art style.

You are right the face will need some work but I want to keep the proportions.

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 11:59:47 pm
Latest revision

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 12:40:40 am

I adjusted the head I was wondering if this looked better,  I shortened the neck and tilted the head I also moved the mouth lower and the nose as well.

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 12:44:17 am
Looks good so far, but I think you should bring the face back to how it was before, it looks really strange now.
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 12:52:35 am
Your biggest problem is the fact that you've received invaluable advice on how to improve it and you're either too bull-headed or too lazy to take others' advice.  You could at least try scaling it down, it would be a lot of work at this size, but that's up to you. I don't think fixing the anatomical problems should be arguable, I've seen chibi, this isn't chibi.  It's just an improper understanding of anatomy, facial anatomy in particular.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't bad, but if you want to make it better then I would advise applying the feedback you've received, otherwise you're not going to get anything out of this forum.

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 01:14:40 am
Keep in mind this is based on a  old sketch so I am doing a lot of revising, My point about the critique is it is about areas I have not even touched on yet, it does not mean I did not listen.

This is the direction I am taking the face.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:28:12 am by nw15062 »