AuthorTopic: Looking for critisism  (Read 3817 times)

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Looking for critisism

on: August 31, 2008, 01:52:05 am
Greeting fellas I have been interested in working on some pixel art for some time and found some time on my three day weekend to complete a project.

-As my first project I thought I should limit my color use, I decided to use the pallet provided for the Isometric Collaboration IV challenge, I also believe working with limitations spur innovation.
-I went for a cartoon style in the vain of old Lucas-art games such as Day of the Tentacle, a favorite game of mine.
-I think the shoes may need a little work I can see how my effort had improved from start to finish considering I started on the shoes first and worked my way upwards finishing second on the bag and then finally on the face and headset.
- I tried to minimize my use of dithering although to increase color I decided to use it in various locations.

Here it is...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:02:26 pm by nw15062 »

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Looking for critisism

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:22:53 am
It this your first piece ??
Congratulations. We'd probably love to hear about your artistic background :P

About the piece itself, I think the white outline is jaggy, it deserves antialiasing or a trip to the recycle bin.
The main problem I think is that the character seems to be sitting on an invisible chair and that he's going to collapse in a moment.
Also, light blue colors inside the pants dont make much sense to me, I think it should be dark all the way and that legs should partly be in the shadow cast by the pants.
Face probably needs work too but I'm not too good on that so I'll just pass.

Otherwise, good work, especially if it's your first (hardly believable actually :P ).

Oh and welcome to Pixelation.

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 02:55:04 pm
It is my first pixel by pixel piece, although I have done a lot of other projects in drawing. Such as vector art, hand drawings photography my deviant art account is nw15062.deviantart.com.

But as far as pixel art it is my first project.

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 03:17:31 pm
It this your first piece ??
Congratulations. We'd probably love to hear about your artistic background :P

About the piece itself, I think the white outline is jaggy, it deserves anti aliasing or a trip to the recycle bin.
The main problem I think is that the character seems to be sitting on an invisible chair and that he's going to collapse in a moment.
Also, light blue colors inside the pants don't make much sense to me, I think it should be dark all the way and that legs should partly be in the shadow cast by the pants.
Face probably needs work too but I'm not too good on that so I'll just pass.

Otherwise, good work, especially if it's your first (hardly believable actually :P ).

Oh and welcome to Pixelation.

In regards to your critique, Your are absolutely right the issues you address are are things I find dissatisfied with, I like the white / black outline it makes it look like a sticker and really stands out but it is far to jaggy I wonder if I use the grey on the white jaggs that maybe it will help.

The stance was supposed to look like he is a. in a skateboard stance, or be standing on a subway in other wards knees bent and leaning forward.

The shorts are white with blue highlights because I thought the best way to shadow white fabric is tan or blue and with so much browns already I though blue would nicely offset the use of browns.

if you have any ideas of corrective measures please share them with me I would like ideas on how to fix this piece in order to make it more presentable.

all works are works in progress until death.

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 03:22:05 pm
Woah, that is seriously amazing for your first work.

But it's not perfect. The outlines seem too thick and jagged, especially on the pants. And what is the big highlight on the bottom of the bag's flap? That seems out of place to me.

But otherwise great work, I wish I had your mad skillz
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 03:36:50 pm
A challenging piece, to say the least.

Some crits..

His neck is very thick, which just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the character design that well.

The whites of the eyes are a bit "are they there or are they not?"

Also, despite it being a part of the cartoony feel, the pants seem to defy gravity a bit too much.

Offline nw15062

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 04:54:21 pm

Here is the most current revision, touching on the the neck and the eyes.

I narrowed the neck by about 4 pixels widths and added more white around the eyes, I also touched on a issue withe background I didn't notice till now.

I need some ideas to fix the shorts, I know there is a issue but I am not sure how to address it. Being a first piece I started from the shoes and worked up so the third part was the shorts. SO being a early attempt I know the shorts have issues.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:58:50 pm by nw15062 »