AuthorTopic: self portrait - my first  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

self portrait - my first

on: July 19, 2005, 05:58:18 am
alrighty - I was diggin some of the cool pixel portraits i keep on seeing around and decided i should make my own.  I tried some new styles in this piece compared to what i'm used to, but I think it turned out okay.

(+edit 1: 0ld --> new)

C+C away.  This piece was a faster piece of mine so i dont care too much for it - thus there's bound to be many flaws.

EDIT:  hmmm...  think i should use it as my new avi?  this current one is a couple years old now i think.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 10:13:07 am by Indigo »

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Re: self portrait - my first

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:33:14 pm
INDIGoooooo :D .    I think its a really great peice for what you claim it to be (a quick work). Its much in the vein of the fad that Kenneth / gunstar had created on pixelation of old with their cartoonish self portrayed images :D>   First off, love the eyebrows and the hair. the style is just top notch, nice and simple, yet the lineart in it creates great depth. eyebrows are as flat as can be and perfectly shaped to portray 'charicature'.  The colors used are top notch (most importantly how the hair is not the same exact hue as the skin tones, and the shirt's greyness has much of a blue/'indigo' influence (no pun i promise!).

if lets say you really did care about the indepth details of the thing, id say that the areas around the eyes look a little flat. it might be nice to throw in the 'double eye lid' line thing so you can see the crease of the eyeball in there, or at least embellish the lashes a bit perhaps, as it looks like you either forgot em or had them singed off in a freak pyrotechnic incident.  While the face's shape looks great in a cartoonish way, it looks a bit mechanical (sort of like the bruiser brothers from super punch out or something), where the shaded contours of the cheek bones dont really immitate a skull more than it does a candy corn, you kno?some of the areas where you have used 'buffer pixels' like in the hair perhaps... you might have to be a bit more 'selective' to get that sharp crisp yet smooth contrast between highlight and shadow (especially near the outlines around the top)... meaning where in some places you have a 2 pixel horizontal grouping of pixels, you should only have 1. The neck doesnt really seem round to me, its just kinda there supporting your head, and the way you shaded the collar it makes it seem as though the neck is buldging over the collar a bit. not sure how to explain how to fix that without a visual fix... Also last thing, theres something about the pencil that although stylish, doesnt look exxactly formed, perhaps in the way you shaded it with higlight on top, shadow on bottom... it looks too bevelled without having the effect of being round.

anyhow, really fun peice, makes me want to try one again myself! :D

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 10:12:17 am
st00000000ven :D !

man - you gave me some good quality C+C to work with.  I tried to fix everything like you said and I think i'm heading in the right direction....I just dont know if I did enough to call it finished.  also - with the eyelid thing - I couldn't decide whether to go light or dark.  I ended up going light, but what do you think?  On the collar - i saw that it was bad before i posted - i guess im just uber lazy or something cuz i decided not to fix it unless somebody said something :P .  meh - also fixed the pencil.  you were quite right about that.  man your cool st0ven.

thanks for the C+C.  more is appreciated from anyone

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 02:38:42 am
I really like the colors. I think it's fine for the most part. Maybe remove the outlines between skin and hair, or at least reduce contrast/AA.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 06:48:37 am
Wow, this piece is coming along good. I was just about to leave the page without posting beacuse it seemed perfect, but I noticed a small flaw in the shading on the face. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something wrong; the face looks kind of weird in the chin/cheek area. I don't know how to fix this, but I figured I would point it out. Great piece nonetheless. i love the cartoony/cel-shaded feel. Keep it up.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.