AuthorTopic: Sokota | Clockwork Industria  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Sokota | Clockwork Industria

on: August 29, 2008, 06:31:00 pm
Ok, so me and a friend are making a manga. Clockwork Industria. It's going for the steampunk look. I decided to pixel our hero, and this is what came out so far. It's a wip. I have minimal shading on it, but I posted it to make sure I got anatomy and colors right, because I would like to improve on my AAing and shading with this piece. I had some AA on it, but it was lighter than the board, so I took it off. Any help in that would be appreciated. Crits more than welcome! As are edits. ;)

Sokota

Sokota

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Re: Sokota | Clockwork Industria

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 06:38:51 pm
Well, you wanted.. to know if the colours are right. There's not really that many colours to say are right.

Maybe, pull a pallete together, then we can see if it'll be ok :D

And the character seems to.. stiff, mainly for my around the neck area. (The Jackets collar).

Good job :]

Offline Lunar

• Programmer/Spriter
    • View Profile
    • Skyfire

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 02:31:09 am
Hey Sokota :P

Its ok, here are some crits.

1). The collar on the jacket needs to fold outward
2). His shoulders are really stiff
3). Looks flat
4). Needs shading (but your getting to that)
5). Thats like a monster zipper :P  Almost as big as his jacket pocket
6). The neck is pretty wierd.  Too boxy.

Here's an edit adressing some of the issues stated above:

Nice work, and keep it up.

-Lunar

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:43:37 am
Well, the jacket color is supposed to be like that. Look up "Naruto" on Google, and look at his color. I'm aiming for that. Also, I too hate the pose. I'm going t completely redo it, because Sokota is supposed to be a bit more lanky. I think I'll add black outlines to match the anime style more as well. Not sure what to do about the eyes, but we'll see.

Sokota

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:01:31 am
If you're making a manga let me ask you another thing: what does this character design communicate? He's the lead for a long story, what does his appearance tell us? What's his personality, what's his behaviour, his quirks? We cannot tell anything but - sorry to be straightforward but it seems the case to me - 'bland' by this design. I am not saying go extravagant and throw 30 props in there (heaven's sake no) but he doesn't emote *anything* as it is. He looks like an RPG template, not a real person.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:31 pm
Yes, Helm, I am aware of that. Thanks though. If you want, I could post the current story, though it's roughly 1500 words. *No artwork yet*. I know he's very bland, and now that I look at it, it's getting worse and worse. Like I said, I need to redo it completely, starting with something wholesome, instead of trying to improve junk. Also, uh, a question about Anime/Manga anatomy. Just how accurate does it need to be? Because most characters of have hair that could defy our natural laws of gravity, and some have bodies to match. ???

Sokota

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:57:49 pm
As accurate as you need it to be able to convey emotion through mannerism and form.