AuthorTopic: Zombie for the PJ challenge (pretty much) finished  (Read 5414 times)

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Zombie for the PJ challenge (pretty much) finished

on: October 15, 2008, 06:06:36 am
Just back, using the new challenge as a warm up to get re-motivated.

This is only part of the final.  So far I think the face is too flat ish.  And hes supposed to be dressed corny like that.  Unless of course thats how you dress in which case...yeah.

There's another with more stuff on the face.  any CC?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:57:20 am by McStinkus »

Offline Sever

• View Profile

Re: Zombie for the PJ challenge WIP

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:08:34 am
looks hot

maybe add some blood trickling down from his eyes and mouth?

also, are you considering a background?

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:38:19 pm
Are you going for something stylized or a realistic human zombie? This would benefit from more geometry on the face. Now it's mostly texture that has very little information in it. Give him cheekbones and erode the areas that have soft flesh in the human face, like the cheeks. Give the areas of the face some contrast with varied levels of tearing in the skin. For example, give the cheeckbone area thin dry skin and strips of flesh holding the jawbone up. You could even expose some of the muscles. The eyes seem too close together, move them apart and put them deeper in the skull. Also ear looks small and misplaced, though i wonder what happens to an ear when it dries up, maybe it gets smaller  ;D. Actually that would be a fun detail.

There's something i like about how he looks right now. He's a zombie, but not a zombie like all the other zombies.
Colors look good too and the lighting is going towards something real nice. Add some falloff for the light so that bright red doesn't continue that far to the lower part of the picture. Try a different hue for the implied details in the dark parts of the jacket.
Pose works. Jacket needs more work cause now it's a bit messy and doesn't conform to the guy inside.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:43:25 pm
Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't want to add any gore here such as torn skin or blood or anything.  Maybe later on i'll add some but i sort of like the idea that he is non threatening and kind of sad/pathetic. I think any gore/horror elements would subtract from that.  Also, he's not supposed to be realistic.  However, I've debated how much I want to add slightly more realistic details like cheekbones.  I'll try another shot and see how they look.  Right now he's sort of an undead ET, which I kind of like aesthetically, but I'll try integrating a bit more bony-ness.  I'll work on fading the jacket and reds out a bit but my pallete is running thin.  I'll try to make some cuts and replace them with another color to imply detail.  Oh, and I'm not sure if there'll be a background, but there will at least be a more appropriate color.  I'll post more tonight.

here's a quick edit.  I played with adding some bone structure.  I like bony so far but need to work on the left (ours) cheekbone/jawbone intersection.  What I want is withered.  Not realistically so, but everything on his face withered.  thus the head is shrunken and paltry as if the bone itself were withered like an old pumpkin.  And yes the ear sucks, I don't think ear cartilage really dessicates much so maybe I'll just give him s little hole there or something...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:25:20 pm by McStinkus »

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:22:21 am
Here's the latest.  probably the last i'll put up before the contest closes:

obviously its still very much unfinished and most of the head is still just shape.  any dire words of wisdom?  btw, thanks for the help.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 05:59:38 am
He needs to have stretching ripping flesh in his mouth.
Head tilt could perhaps use another tweening frame.
This is looking awesome. :]

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Re: Zombie for the PJ challenge

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:27:36 am
Here it is...

i still ought to aa stuff to the dark background but I'm sort of burned out on it for now...
Any CC, of course, is more than welcome!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:46:53 am by McStinkus »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Re: Zombie for the PJ challenge (pretty much) finished

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 06:34:53 am
Maybe the knife and fork could be more clear. It took me a while to figure out what they were. Very smoov though.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 03:25:36 pm
Holy crap! I love it  :y:

There might be a little too much black shading, but thats about the only crit I have.

Nice work on the text animations also.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 08:31:58 pm
Haha wow I'm loving the animation on this. Especially the change in shadows across his face.