AuthorTopic: [WIP, Some Nudity] Now heyy13's Art Dump ~ UPDATED 21/10/08  (Read 14194 times)

Offline heyy13

• View Profile
This is now my art dump for things i'm working on and want crits for. Please scroll down to the latest post for the most recent project. : )

This dragon is a commish for a friend on gaiaonline and is of one of her OCs. I'm having trouble rendering the rocks and would like some advice on how to proceed.

The rocks are supposed to appear as if they're being held togeather only by the roots of the tree.

Sellout was applied purposefully as i've never done it before and wanted to give it a try.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:40:10 am by heyy13 »

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dragon on a tree on a rock

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 05:52:12 pm
I like it a lot. It will be very cool when finished.

I'm no expert, but a few things jump out at me right away. First, the "back" looks sort of weird. I think you should round it out a little bit better. Second, it's very obviously dithered in some areas which makes it look less smooth than it could. Also, the edges are a little bit too jagged. Try lightening them up a little.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

Offline EdpR

• hello
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:23:39 pm
green palette needs more contrast imo

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:37:34 pm
I think the problem is is that the roots seem to be resting on the rocks, if it was holding it together, it'd be nested in it a bit more.

Maybe you can try making cracks around the edges of the roots, or at least make it so that the rocks are indented by them.

On second though, I agree about the colors.

Instead of just changing lum/sat, you should try changing hue too.

For green, you can go from a yellowish-green for brightest, and blueish-green for darkest.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 11:12:46 pm by brod »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 01:51:34 am
A much as i love the colour critique, it's not my character and i got verry specific instructions as to what colours the dragon should be. I'm more free with the other pallets, which is why the rocks do hue shift towards yellow as they get lighter but unfortunatly the pallet for the dragon is (almost) set. I might be able to get away with abit more yellow in the lighter colours, but i can't garuntee it. It's been closlely critiqued by the (eventual) owner as i work so i'll have to run it past her. : )

infinitegames ~ Which areas were you refering too (as far as overdithering) the belly was supposed to have more of a "scaled look" and so the dithering was supposed to make it more rough not less like on the rest of the peice. But if you didn't recognise that then i obviously havn't pulled it off. So if that's what your refering too i'd take ideas.

I'll see what i can do as far as rounding out the back, i've had the same thought myself but when i look at it close up it looks much more rounded than when i room out. *fiddles with it again*

EdpR ~ I'll give it a try, i'm not normally a fan of really high contrast but i'll experiment and see what it looks like.

brod ~ Now this was exactly the critique i was looking for. THANKYOU! <3 That's a really good idea for the rocks, i've just started and it's allready looking better. : )

The rest of your post is answered first.

Might not be able to post an update for afew days as a priority project has just been requested. So this is on the backburner at the moment unless i get blinding inspiration. ;D

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 04:24:34 pm
Update on the tree since the rocks are giving me art block. xP

I tried to round the back more and i think it looks better?

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dragon on a tree on a rock ~ UPDATED 04/09/08

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 01:00:35 am
Huge improvement.
1. Smooth out the edges everywhere, most of them are jagged
2. Shade the other branch of the tree and the rest of the roots.
3. Dither the rocks

Also, maybe make the dragon horns a darker color so they stand out from the background and shade them, they look flat and out of place.
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dragon on a tree on a rock ~ UPDATED 04/09/08

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 01:47:30 am
I think commenting that i should finish parts i havn't even started is abit rediculous. o__o;; There is a reason this is a WIP, the other branch/most of the roots and horns havn't even been attempted and the rocks have only the most rudamentary of colours layed down so far, simply to help define the forms.

So i'll address the only relevant part of your comment:

Which finished edges are jagged? I only see one or two places (which i'll go fix) but the assertion that most of them are jagged? Please help me find these jaggies.

EDIT: Update

I think the tree is currently looking abit too perfectly cylindrical in the upper trunk. Any ideas on how to spice it up?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:24:20 am by heyy13 »

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dragon on a tree on a rock ~ UPDATED 05/09/08

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 11:44:01 am
An easy way to add to the tree is to imagine you grab the top of the tree and twist it. I would do a demo but im at work and dont have paint lol. What im trying to say is it needs to look twisted like where the roots enter the tree they should carry on going up the tree but around it if u get what i mean. lol Have a look at some other peoples tree posted on pix. :D

THANKS! :D
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dragon on a tree on a rock ~ UPDATED 05/09/08

Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:23:59 pm
Realy nice palette to the tree ;D

I'm not sure about it, since I actually love this present version, anyway I would probably use some antialiasing to mix the borders into the background.
dunno if it would screw the whole thing but I certainly would make an experiment on that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:26:49 pm by Andre »