AuthorTopic: Lospec Gallery Kickstarter  (Read 16342 times)

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Lospec Gallery Kickstarter

Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 06:40:30 am
A common sentiment I've long seen shared among pixel artists is the wish for a modern gallery that's tailored towards displaying pixel art.
That wish may soon be granted because Lospec just announced a Kickstarter for their restrictive digital art gallery today!

Check out the Lospec Gallery Kickstarter page for more details!

Lospec Gallery will be a place to to share your pixel art, chiptune, lowpoly, voxel, textmode and more.

Features to look forward to:
  • Modern interfaces which make it easy to upload and browse art from any device
  • Custom art viewers which display low-spec art properly, without compression
  • Small, focused community where you can more easily get to know people making similar art
  • Full page display that focuses on your art
  • Pixel art viewer automatically zooms in without blurring (and allows user zooming and panning)
  • Moderated categories and search terms so you can find similar pieces with ease
  • Spec Detection automatically reads and displays info about your art such as resolution, palette, filesize and more
  • Timed queues so all new pieces get an equal chance to be seen on the homepage
  • Easy social media posting, so you don't have to worry about resizing and uploading to multiple places
Lospec is a free community and resource hub developed by a single person, Sam Keddy (skeddles), and funded out of pocket with some help from donations. Some of its great features are a searchable tutorial database, palette list, pixel art uploader for social media, png crusher, and many more. The site launched in 2017 and has only continued to get more and more useful to artists thanks to all the hard work and dedication that has been poured into it. It's incredible just how much Lospec has done to help pixel art knowledge become more accessible.

Why Kickstarter? As skeddles puts it: Unfortunately human beings are very needy, and tend to die when not provided with food and shelter. The main goal of this Kickstarter is to raise enough money to keep Lospec's creator alive long enough to finish this gallery, though if we raise more it will allow Lospec to hire even more humans to work on the project, meaning it will be finished faster and with more features. Even donating $1 gets you access to the devlog and lets you be included on the supporters page, but if you are able to contribute more than that you can get beta and alpha access, and some other cool rewards, including shirts with a design of your choice, stickers, and postcard sets.

At the time of this post, the campaign has already raised nearly $8000 and has nearly met its goal after only ~13 hours! I've contributed to the campaign myself since this is something I've long awaited personally and I'm thrilled to see so much positive energy towards a medium I love. If this is a project that excites you like it excites me, please consider contributing or helping spread the word! (Here is a Twitter post by the official Lospec page if you'd like to share it.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:43:12 am by Kiana »
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.