Critique > 2D & 3D

READ FIRST! - Introduction to the new section

<< < (2/5) > >>

madPXL:
I'm using 3Ds max for models and cosmigo promotion for textures.

noiz_:
The techinque of using 3d prerenders as 2d sprites in games is not new, and most of the time, these are easily distinguishable by their specific 3d-look. E.g.: Pulstar, Mars Matrix.
But I've been always wondering how Cave (Progear, ESP Rade, Guwange...) does it.
The graphics in these games of their, while certainly being prerendered (or so I heard?..), just look so pixel art.

AlexHW:
for 3d work, it might be a good practice to share the 3d file and texture file so others can get a more hands on approach with their critiques.. otherwise people are left to only looking at it.. this is simply a suggestion, not a requirement.

ptoing:

--- Quote from: noiz_ on August 28, 2008, 09:40:16 am ---The techinque of using 3d prerenders as 2d sprites in games is not new, and most of the time, these are easily distinguishable by their specific 3d-look. E.g.: Pulstar, Mars Matrix.
But I've been always wondering how Cave (Progear, ESP Rade, Guwange...) does it.
The graphics in these games of their, while certainly being prerendered (or so I heard?..), just look so pixel art.

--- End quote ---

I would say that all of the prerenderd Cave stuff still looks prerendered, but most of it (and in new games pretty much all of it) is done with taste. I think it has to do with the lighting a lot at which the models are rendered. Cave uses quite subtle lighting, whereas in Mars Matrix you have lots of highlights and such. Also I am sure that Cave cleans up afterwards with whatever program they use. Oh also, for prerendered sprites you should use untextured stuff, because textures would just fuzz things up.

Eclipse:

--- Quote from: Alex Hanson-White on August 28, 2008, 02:14:11 pm ---for 3d work, it might be a good practice to share the 3d file and texture file so others can get a more hands on approach with their critiques.. otherwise people are left to only looking at it.. this is simply a suggestion, not a requirement.

--- End quote ---

The biggest problem with doing this is that others can and might take parts of it and call it their own. While no self respecting artist ever would, that doesn't mean others won't. It's a risk, especially if your work is quality. And since the ripper has the model and skin, it can look more legitimate to the people they are trying to fool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version