AuthorTopic: Twinsen Pushing  (Read 15885 times)

Offline Lunar

• Programmer/Spriter
    • View Profile
    • Skyfire

Re: Twinsen Pushing

Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 02:04:56 am
Yeah, I agree with Turbo.  His looks like alot more strain is being put against moving the object.

-Lunar

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 01:46:07 pm
placeholder arm
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 06:55:25 am
Looks pretty good :) I'd like to see his head rotate just like that elephant does - i think it'd look more kiddy.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 07:53:36 am
I think I need to move the upper half of his body up a few pixels to the right.. and I need to fatten him up a bit.. looks like bending paper at the moment
and I will have his upper body & head rotate accordingly

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 05:31:09 am
I am not sure how thw fabric works on the legs, also that knee travels a huge distance where it should mostly be going on a horisontal line. The leg morphs and changes lengths according to the movement, whereas the correct was is, the movement is constrained and directed by the length of the leg.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 12:21:43 pm
I think I'm going to take some liberties on Twinsen's tunic, and finally shade/aa it properly.. It's just getting way too hard to work with as it is.
This topic will be back in the near future.

thanks guys :)

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 08:05:54 pm
I know, I know, this topic is a bit old... but I'd come across a book that explained perfectly why there was no force in some of these pushes, and so much in others.

...then I forgot which book, otherwise I'd just scan it and I'm sure it'd be clear.

The basic idea is that you can draw a C-curve that follows the force of the body, and most of the force will be shootin' out the end of that C-curve. If the tip of the C-curve points UP (as seen in your earliest attempt) practically all the force will be directed UP, and as such y'ain't gonna get any force pushing against whatever you're trying to push against.

Demonstrated:

Furthest on left has some force "escaping" out of the top but the overall "S" curve that is formed is providing some force.

Next over is one of your earlier attempts. Practically all force goes straight up, and really weak force in the arms doesn't help the wimpy look :D

Ben's edit (I think?) in the middle shows most of the force travelling at what seems to be a 45, which is awesome. It does lose some force in the "pushing with my elbows!" bit... but that also makes it closer to your pushin' like a kid ideal.

Next over is just ruined by the multiple bends taken in its travel from shoulder to object. Every time you make a turn like that, you'd only be able to push as much force as the weakest joint could handle.

Next over was taken from somewhere in your walk cycle. It's actually quite effective because the C curve is quite harsh, harsher than I drew it actually (It'd go from his near foot to the peak of his back to his hands on the wall) and so most of the force is travelling into the object.

On the bottom is what I view as ideal.

I'm trying to figure this stuff out, still. If I'm wrong somewhere, give me a shout. We'll figure it out :)

(Edit : Found the page)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/SaboteurGreg/Takam2.jpg

Taken from Wayne Gilbert's Simplified drawing for planning animation
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:16:16 pm by Willows »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 11:01:33 pm
Sweet, Willows, saving both those diagrams. I have a very instinctive grasp on motion lines, but would like to learn a more theoretical approach, and this surely helps.