AuthorTopic: Bioshock  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Badassbill

• View Profile
    • pixelbab

Bioshock

on: October 19, 2008, 04:40:21 am

NES limitations.

Main character and Big Daddy are split up into several sprites so I could add depth to them. Main character intensionally clashes a little so if the game was being played you could easily read where the character is without him being lost in the colour-heavy, but dank surroundings.

I'd like to expand on what I currently have, so any criticism is welcome.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Bioshock

Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:52:50 am
That's very awesome, though I think you're very close to the sprite limit as is.

The background is excellent, but maybe up the light hitting the floor in front of the farther back pillars?

Main characters also a little bland; no defining features.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Badassbill

• View Profile
    • pixelbab

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 06:45:31 pm
Thanks Gill. I'll take that into consideration.

I'm pretty sure it IS near the sprite limit, but the beauty of that is in Bioshock there's often only a single enemy on screen.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:17:26 pm
I dunno, you have all this depth(purposefully done, and at the expense of sprites) in the Big Daddy, yet the protagonist has boring colors and is pretty flat.
Also, the Big Daddy seems to be a bit off-balance.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:16:35 pm
The off-style amount of the protagonist is a bit TOO much, the only reason for him to fit in is because he has the same colour palette right now. On the other hand, I recommend you try and get some amount of depth in it. Right now it's all foreground, except one leg, which is entirely background. While on the big daddy you see depth on every segment, not per segment. Now if you do this, but don't overdo it, it will probably become alot more fitting in.

Other than that:
Please make more :D

Offline Dr. Kylstien

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:35:25 pm
If I may contribute some technical nitpicking:
It appears the Big Daddy alone occupies all eight sprites at its widest point, meaning there will be massive flickering between that row, the same row on the player, and the projectile. Assuming there is no overlapping, it uses up two or three of the four color palettes. The little sister shares one of those palettes, but the player character uses two sets of completely different colors. I suggest you use the same browns palette from the Big Daddy on the player. I haven't checked the background...

Depending on how much it moves (I haven't played Bioshock), you might consider making (most of) the Big Daddy out of background tiles, where the only hard limit on size would be the amount of memory used. You would loose the ability to change palettes every 8x8 tile though.

Of course, you don't have to consider any of this, but it can cause your picture to 'look wrong' to people familiar with NES games. Also, observing hardware limits on palettes can lead to better use of colors as a side-effect.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:47:33 am
Umm, your 11 and 12 are backwards on the clock. :P

Besides that, it's looking good! (Except the main character is too flat, as others have pointed out.)