AuthorTopic: Tsu-Moe [Finished?]  (Read 13276 times)

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Re: Tsu-Moe

Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 06:02:50 am
Right leg still looks off to me...am i alone in this? can anyone confirm?

-I agree with the comments on the details/accesories (in fact i deleted it from my original message figuring it was something planned), like a zipper thingie hangin from the neck, or maybe a keychain here or there would be cool, some kind of reference to Japan would be great to get the feeling of "sumo" or whatever.
-There's of course some polishing issues im sure you are aware, a few jaggies here and there, if not, ill be glad to point them out on a edit, but taking the nature wipish of the pic, i figure you'll get around to those.

Keep it up, looking top notch.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 01:40:35 pm
Technically great, as always, Indigo.

The only thing bothering me, really, is his pants. They're so tight that they look like they're painted on. My package hurts just looking at it. You have a passion for anatomy but drapery can be fun too! Why not give him shorts or some nice baggy skater pants?
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 07:03:26 am
Right leg still looks off to me...am i alone in this? can anyone confirm?

Yeah, I agree with you. The way his right leg is draw makes it look like the right foot should be rotated outwards a little. I think it may be to do with the rendering on the back of the leg?
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 08:05:08 am
Update:

firstly, stripes or no stripes?

I fixed a lot of things, refined a lot of things, and added a few things.  I again tried to fix the leg.  Its not a significant change, but I tried making the calf muscle less defined in hopes that the rotation would look more correct.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Tsu-Moe [updated 8/29]

Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 08:10:49 am
Yell, stripes, naturally. More detail on large monochromatic parts is a good thing.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 08:12:49 pm
This is looking really cool. Definately keep the stripes, looks much better with them. Adds another layer to the sense of form as well.  :)

To add more detail and character, I'd add some patchwork to the knee area. Since he obviously skates he's bound to fall on his knees more than a few times.

Offline zi

• I wish you success :)
    • View Profile
    • just one account :)

Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 08:41:37 pm
nice work as always :) with stripes.

I dislike his muscle in his left leg over the knee ... this muscle is very inflated, but if you make him thin will have problems with his groin that is why maybe his left leg must going a bit inside.

=====================
:) GDGB :)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Tsu-Moe [updated 9/2]

Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 02:53:31 am

finally got around to the unfinished areas.   I'll try to address more of your guys' critique, though I'm getting close to just calling it done.  I'm not entirely sure if I'm satisfied with the hand though.  Any critique is welcome :)

thanks so much guys

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 09:46:44 am
I'm not entirely sure if I'm satisfied with the hand though.  Any critique is welcome :)
Maybe it is a tad too big? Even considering the stylish choice, it looks a bit oversized with respect to the forearm - or perhaps it is just the bulkiness of the whole.
Besides that, the same arm looks a little too big - f.ex., the upper arm practically matches the left thigh. Speaking of thighs, the right one seems to suffer from a little undersizing...

DISCLAIMER: I'm no anatomy expert nor I know exactly where yoy intended to draw the line between realism and style, so I'm just reporting impressions ;)

Regardless of the above, your piece looks great - love the style, love the colors, love the pixelling!

saimo

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 07:21:28 pm

I maked an edit, perhaps more for my benefit than yours. Didn't add any colours, gave the viewer more something to look at and a bit more of a story is told. The angle I was going for was street-thug that does his business on a skateboard. Though I highly doubt I got that idea across at first glance, the idea is at least recognisable sooo you know what the heck I'm talking about.

I aimed for a bit of "every colour everywhere"... as best I could understand the concept, to evade the current "THIS PART IS BLUE. THIS PART IS BROWN." aspect that's going on at the moment. I added more or less random belt buckles on his backpack straps, because buckles always look cool, and they help define the straps for what they are, as well as provide an insight into function. I gave him a gun right next to the most visual-weighty part of him (his left thigh, with the chain and all) and though it might be small, it's evidently a weapon of some kind, which is all I was going for.

I also lowered his zipper just to see if it would make a positive difference, and I'm not sure it did.

He also has rougher knuckles on his left hand, scratches on his skateboard (the idea is that he notched it to represent successful hits, though have it ambiguous to represent scratches if the need be) and a hole in his knee. If I had the pixel finesse, I'd attempt to make is pants look like cloth, and his shirt look like cloth. I tried, evidence of which can be seen in the more-or-less random pixel placement. The smooth shading is appealing and calming, but that's not exactly what I'd be going for, were it my piece.

I still think the final result is great, but I also think it could be pushed to a more interesting and appealing design. Hopefully I didn't crush any of your views in my edit, and hopefully it gives you a clearer notion of what I mean by character :D

Cheers!

(P.S. I did no intentional changing of the palette :O! That must have come from... random extension changing.)