AuthorTopic: Drawing/pixeling help please... v_v  (Read 3190 times)

Offline PixL

• View Profile

Drawing/pixeling help please... v_v

on: December 27, 2005, 03:02:22 pm
Ok, I don't know if there's a way to help this or not, but I figured I would ask anyway.

I need help with making stuff up...I can draw pretty good, and I think I pixel pretty good, But I can only draw/pixel something I have a picture of. I really want to be able to make something up off the top of my head and draw/pixel it, but I can't. I tried this morning. I sat there at the table with a sketch book and pencil, but everything I tried to draw came out like a 6 year old drew it :-[ . I can't even get a wire frame stick figure to look right. I tried to draw some weird robot thing, a car, a person, and a few other random things. Please help, I'm really tired of making stuff thats already been made, I want to be able to make my own stuff.

please....thanks.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Drawing/pixeling help please... v_v

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 05:24:12 pm
Just think of an object in this world that could be better, figure out how it'd work, what would be improved, and the drawbacks of the improvement, then incorporate them into a drawing.
ie. a futuristic car: Is solar powered and has turbine jet engine thingys on the side, making it cleaner and faster. Unfortunately, it would be very large.
Now draw it.

Or you could just draw inspiration from other things.
Do you like shadow of the colossus? Draw a giant.
Like King Arthur? Draw some knights.
Don't blatantly copy or take an unoriginal character, just draw inspiration and perhaps borrow different elements of the character/world into your own creation.

I like to draw a squiggly line on some paper (one that doesn't cross itself) and turn it into a section of outline. Then I just add the rest of the outline and fill it in with what I think it looks like.

People are just a matter of getting a good pose and having slight knowledge of anatomy. Try drawing a tree...yeah, just a tree. I find trees quite fun to draw. Which reminds me I haven't pixeled one yet...Mmmm...

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Drawing/pixeling help please... v_v

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 06:14:00 pm
Perhaps you are having trouble remembering how whatever you're drawing should look because you do it off the top of your head.
If you want to do this, you have to have a pretty good memory of what it is you are drawing should look. So you need to study what it is you will be drawing, and notice key features which make it look how it looks, such as it's shape, its texture and etcetera.. You can even use references while you work to remind you how the thing you are drawing looks, but since they are references, you wouldn't be copying them, you'd be studying them, and then drawing it differently.