AuthorTopic: Futuristic warrior  (Read 5452 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Futuristic warrior

on: December 27, 2005, 04:42:07 am
Hey all, long time no post ^_^. I hope to make a few cool new art threads in the near future, i wanted to start off however with just something ive been cooking up. It is a sprite that draws inspiration from games such as Metroid, megaman and even ironman/war machine concept found in MvC from capcom. The original purpose for this sprite's existence was for a client who decided that although he thought it looked ok, he envisioned it in a completely different game than the one he wanted to make... which is a shame because i think hes bad ass and ive got some awesome ideas for some killer weapon attacks, perhaps i can one day conceptualize these into more than just a small compilation of sprites. The concept looks something like this.

I was going to include a few more attacks in the concept, but it was already denied so theres no immediate need to do so, though i would like to continue developing it further anyhow. So, id love your comments, character design suggestions, stylistic input, and even downright edits of what youd like to do to make it cooler/better. thankeh muches.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Re: Futuristic warrior

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 04:48:04 am
I love the first two sprites, st0ven. They're just pretty as all heck. The last two have odd poses. It seems like he is saying "stop" in the third and testing the firmness of a grapefruit in the fourth. I really like the lighting in the fourth though.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 05:05:37 am
The animation on the 4th sprite looks off. When i shoot blue fireballs from my hand the fingers first widen (as the fireball grows) and then the hand recoils (as the fireball is shot) whereas in your animation the fingers widen as the hand recoils. I guess it could differ from person to person though...
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 05:09:54 am
samus  :o

hmm, tried seeing what shoulder speculars would look like?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 06:33:42 am
I think the arms are a tad long.  I agree Akira about the way the fingers move in the recoil.  For a while I was viewing the arm as moving forward when he shot instead of recoiling... that may have had something to do with it.

Very well done, though.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 05:39:46 pm
Sw33t. I agree with Darien: his arms are long...either that or the legs are short. Same with the shooting anim.
Why in the first 2 sprites are his...it is a he, isn't it?...anyway, his feet change levels. Erm...If that made sense. But I'm sure you know better than I...

In the 2nd sprite, does he/she have his/her hand on his/her hip? That's what's confusing me about what it is. Short shorts+belly showing+hand on hips=chick. But the upper half looks like a dude. Erm...It lacks the chestiness of a girl.

Anyway, I like it and can't wait to see what other attacks you've got in mind for him...her...it.

Offline Acke

• Oh yeah! Pixel for me baby! ;)
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 11:16:41 pm
nice sprites overall but the fire pose just looks... cheesy. not a very good pose imo.
could do with some more contrasting colors too.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 12:43:13 am
nice sprites overall but the fire pose just looks... cheesy. not a very good pose imo.
could do with some more contrasting colors too.

I like the back view... :'(

They look pretty nice st0ven, as is expected of your work, but I wouldn't say that they live up to some of your better sprites or pieces... problems with the animation as pointed out, and it really lacks in the dynamics department... I want to see flashy (and fluidly animated) attacks in the games I play.
An example of a more interesting animation would be F.Warrior raising his arms above his head, and clasping his right rist in his left hand as he momentarily builds up energy in his palm before levelling his arm, and releasing the projectile. Some heavy recoil would also be nice. :P

Offline archangelmorph

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 01:38:12 pm
I love the first two sprites, st0ven. They're just pretty as all heck. The last two have odd poses. It seems like he is saying "stop" in the third and testing the firmness of a grapefruit in the fourth. I really like the lighting in the fourth though.

I agree with David but overall I think they are top-notch!

Maybe make some a little bigger so we can admire the concept at a greater level of detail?

Archangelmorph - Pixel Artist & Games Developer (Programmer)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 03:49:34 pm
Sto, you consistently make arms too long a bit, and feet too short. From fighter sprites down to this. I thought I should bring it to your attention. Most other crits have been covered, I think, but I might return with more nitpicks. The arm/leg thing is vital, though.