AuthorTopic: WIP:Knight+squid  (Read 9774 times)

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Re: WIP:Knight+squid

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 10:26:13 pm
Hey!, im really liking your sprites, tho, i have some ideas that could help you execute it a lilī better.

- First of all, focus on the anatomy and stance of the knight, lets forget about colours, shading and details for a while.
a) Try to draw his human figure without armor first, so you can have a better understading on proportions, and anatomy in general, right now the lenght from the the waist up, doesnt match the waist up for instance.
b) The pose feels very unnatural, specially the waist/leg area

-Once you have done that, focus use the colours to bring shape and volume to it, for now, just limit yourself to only 2 colours for the entire pic (make sure theres a real contrast between them), dont forget how everything interacts with each other.
a) You have some shadows applied already, like in the waist area, but others you dont have any, for instance, below the head (neck area) below the shoulder pads, knee pads, etc

-When you feel comfortable with it, you can start adding "big details" like the armor, gloves, etc
a) Again, make use of the techniques above

-Now, start replacing those 2 colours in general, with 2 contrasting colours per area
a) For instance, have a light gray, and dark gray applied to the armor, taking as a base the volume that you already applied to the model.

-Finally, start adding a third colour, wich can act as a midtone or shade, and wip out every little detail you might have.

Cheers.

Offline pipe

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:32:45 am
I will try to keep that in mind man I am so lazy I am not sure I will finish that knight
EDIT:I did few minor changes:

I think its more obvious where the light source is
EDIT(2):
fixed few things but really out of ideas and please dont suggest any drastic changes (like redrawing his whole body)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:29:10 pm by pipe »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 06:47:34 pm
1 - TOO BAD.  You need to redraw his whole body.  He's got wee little midget legs!  Also, he's still pillowed shaded and mirrored all to heck.  Pillow shading and mirroring are pretty strong signs that you might enjoy working with a smaller image, one that doesn't take so long to shade and doesn't require so much detail.  I've made very few pieces that are the size of your knight!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 09:36:12 pm
I made an edit a while ago, I have no clue why I didn't post it. Anyway it's just showing you a direction you could have gone with it. You need more contrast and more definition of form. It's rather rough because I spent very little time on it, but I hope you get the general idea of how to make yours better.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:38:26 pm by Atnas »

Offline pipe

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 10:11:49 pm
Thanks I will change him this time it will be "extreme makeover" ;D
EDIT:here it is:

I know that his legs and arms still looks weird but I will fix that later also I got tired of that axe so I drew him a sword
EDIT(2)Fixed a few things:

Is it okay now?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:10:25 pm by pipe »

Offline pipe

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 08:33:28 am
OK I found some time to make it better(I am working on my game so I dont have so much time for pixel art):

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 08:45:51 am
You gotta do something for the pose before anything else. Atnas's knight has a good pose, the knight having a sturdy stance which is necessary to carry all the weight of the sword and the armour. Your knight looks like hes tip-toeing or floating in air. And where's the scabbard for the sword?

Offline pawelotti

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 03:47:48 pm
I think that, the sword shouldn't be sided out. It's really unconfortable to hold a sword in this position or atack from it. In my opinion you should try to put his sword as this guy hold it: http://www.midgard.net.pl/zdjecia/magnus.jpg ;)
I'am from Poland. My English is bad - sorry

Offline pipe

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 06:25:58 pm
something like this?

it still needs a lot of work but before i continue i would like to get more directions
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:19:39 pm by pipe »

Offline pawelotti

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 08:13:44 pm
Exactly like this.
I think that looks much more realistic now than before ;)
I'am from Poland. My English is bad - sorry